cheap wing covering (by a jail bird)

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

OzMo

cheap wing covering (by a jail bird)

Post by OzMo »

[:)]did ya know martha stewart shelf covering heat shrinks well and is tough and costs around $1.50 to cover a smack ssc wing? and i thought she wasn't good fer anything!!
its comes in clear* so cheap craft colors work applied prior to covering as do computer printed emblems. it is sticky backed but a spray of 3m 77 first makes it stick even better.
this stuff sags when heat is applied then goes drum tight as it cools.

* the north texas guys might like the flowery prints!!??[:o)]
Bad Dawg

Post by Bad Dawg »

where did you buy it?
boiler

Post by boiler »

Try K-mart for Martha Stewart stuff.
montague

Post by montague »

How is it at stopping tears? One of the problems of some plastic coverings is that once is starts to tear, it keeps going until it's ripped in half.
OzMo

Post by OzMo »

K-Mart sells the jial bird errr uhm Martha Stewart line. this week-end will be the test as i'm gonna fly this wing in a little SSC meet here in Ozark. i have slammed it into doors etc. on purpose to demonstrate toughness but a few rounds of combat will be a better test. haven't realy seen tear resistance yet but its rather streatchy.
P.S. i really can't say enough on how great this web site has been for setting up our 1st combat event... well done guys!
wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

I was wondering if you were one of those sissy, sort-of-girly man folk from southern Missouri! Me and Lamb Chop will try to give it a good test Saturday. I have experimented with sign vinyl on wings, and it is easy to apply, but was not as tear resistant as ripstop nylon. This was in open 'b' though, so the reduced speeds might make the shelf paper stuff very viable. I bet OzMo was just doing some re-decorating or maybe some flower arranging or some other feminine stuff, and couldn't resist giving Marthas' stuff a try. I wonder if all the 'boys' down there will be wearin' dresses? Will there be a mens outhouse there, or will me and Zach have to sit like the rest of the Ozark combat crew?
OzMo

Post by OzMo »

well I knew using jail bird stuff would cause some $^&*! but still its a cheap cover and it does heat shrinks... and i use the clear stuff if any ones asking! and i think "Sheepy" smell fresh victims... i think we're the sheep and some one is wearing a sheep suit!