Great idea

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

boiler

Great idea

Post by boiler »

Go to the electric WWII thread for a great idea on painting your scale plane with non fuel proof paint and not have it peel off the packing tape. This is a stroke of Genius. Specifically its the mig3 thread.
THend

Post by THend »

Well, it looks like I will not be making it. Good luck to all.
slam

Post by slam »

bob,

i've tried this in the past with 2610. you need to be very careful with the base paint. if it doesn't cure all the way, the paint doesn't stick.

the other thing i have noticed is that the paint sometimes loads the foam up and makes the surface rough. you really need to light sand the paint after it dries before you tape.

what works really well is to print your stars and bars (or other) on regular paper, and put over painted surface, then tape.

slam
thojo

Post by thojo »

one other note, I mix a 50/50 mix of spackle and water and paint the foam first, then lightly sand. It smooths out the foam and protects it from the paint. your better off using an acrylic, but if your careful, you can use regular spray paint, but the propellant will bubble up the foam if you get the can too close...