A question on covering a plane

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

RH

Post by RH »

When you are laying your tape down be sure to start at one end and keep the tape up off the wing surface until you are applying pressure - that keeps working the air out to the front of your pressure line. I don't use any tools, just my hands, and once you get the technique down it goes fast and minimizes those "later on" bubbles. Of course any contact with another plane or with mother earth messes up your best efforts...

r
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

a lot of times when the tape pulls up, it has a thin layer of foam on it, so it's not the adhesive failing, it's the top layer of foam pulling off. which makes putting it back down a challenge! It's a real pain, but I have begun aggressively wiping down all my cores to get the top layer of dust/spooge from foam cutting off. First attempts, I found it generates a lot of static and all the foam fragments stick right back down, along with dust and debris from my pristine workshop! To avoid this, I mist the wing with a water bottle, then wipe it with a shop rag. This eliminates the static and gets the cores fairly clean.