Fuel Proof Camo Spray Paint

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Fuel Proof Camo Spray Paint

Post by Ed Kettler »

I have been using the Cheveron Perfect paints, but the spray cans are very unreliable and getting hard to find. They are great because they match the military paint chips. What I am looking for is:

- Fuel proof up to 25% nitro
- Match to typical military colors
- Readily available

Are there any brands of spray paint that meet this criteria?
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

"Perfect Paint" is great, a bit hard to find, I am not sure if it is made anymore, but
you can still find it at some LHSs. It does not play well with others. I know from
painful experience that Lustercoat and Perfect Paint will make a sticky orange peel
mess, no matter what order it is applied.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Yep, been there done that on the orange peel with the Perfect Paints. The spray cans also plug up either the feed tube or the nozzle, and I can't get a consistent spray. If I can get the cans to work, I'm ok for a while, but I need another solution.
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Don't know Ed, other than LustreKote. I've had good luck with it so far
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Unfortunately not enough colors, Dane. It works really well, as you point out.
Bad Dawg

Post by Bad Dawg »

I have had no problems covering these paints with Lustercoat clear flat: Krylon Fusion & Camouflage paints, Rustoleum gloss enamel & Rustoleum American accents satin. I have only tried it with 15% nitro, but the clear flat protected magic marker panel lines perfectly.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Thanks Mark, I will give some of those a try
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Ed, in the days of early 2610 we used thinned latex with considerable success. Latex wont adhere well to tape or covering on its own, but would more than likely adhere to some sort of primer.

Cash
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Hi Cash,

I have used Rustolium 'Plastic Paint' to prime packing tape before painting with latex. It is sold to refinnish plastic lawn furniture. I only use a light mist coat. I used gloss but flat would be better. Works on coro too.

I'm now using dollar store Acrylic poster paints (1$ for 2oz.) mixed with clear 'neutral base' exterior semi gloss latex. The latex looks milky but dries clear. It is what 'fuelproofs' the acrylic.(50-50 or 60Acryilic-40Latex.)

I thin it down to milk consistancy with windshield washer fluid. It can be sprayed but I find it is easier to brush on 2-1/2 thin coats with a good quality brush. Any 'fuzzy' camo edges/splotches can be done with various sponges. Weight gain on my 45in. span Typhoon was just over 1 oz.

Latex sticks to pop bottle cowls. I sand them with 120-220 while they are still on the mold/plug.

Oil from the exhaust is no problem. If raw fuel is spilled on the latex it discolours and softens. DON'T wipe it off. Let the methanol/nitro evaporate. The oil can be washed off with dish soap/water in a spray bottle.

The best part for me is NO stink. And easy brush cleaning with soap/water. Touchups/repairs blend in very well. I use baby food jars for extra paint. The windshield washer fluid floats to the top and keeps the paint from drying out. I have one jar of olive drab that is still good after 5yrs...!

It is best to let the latex dry for a day or two. But I have finnished painting 4hrs before the first Round with no problems...

I used to seal balsa with dope. I now use WPV. I use a stir stick to get the 'solid stuff' that settles to the bottom of the can. I wipe it into the grain of the wood. Let it dry then put on a second 'regular' brushed on coat. A quart of WPV is cheaper than the dope thinners I ran out of...

Flying scale combat is the most fun I can have with a model airplane.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
jj

Post by jj »

So I gotta ask.

Why do you use windshield washer fluid to thin the paint?
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Hi jj,

Because it is cheap, available and works for me ! hehehe

I'm not positive but I beleive it is just a mix of methanol/water and probably some sort of cleaning agent.

It seems to make the latex flow out better and keep a 'wet edge' longer than water.

The WWF floats to the top of a mixed jar and prevents the settled latex from drying out. Just stir it up and it is good to go...even years later.

When spraying with a cheap syphon airbrush I have to stir the paint every few minutes because the solids settle to the bottom of the spray cup. Hence me prefering just brushing, it is easier for me.

I'll see if I can borrow a camera and learn how to post pictures one day.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Yankee Samurai

Post by Yankee Samurai »

In the paint department there is an additive called Flowtrol it is a latex paint conditioner. Does basically the same thing as windshield washer fluid only made for paint.