Vinyl cutter for decals etc..

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

THend

Vinyl cutter for decals etc..

Post by THend »

I know the Doc has one, any recomendations?

The wife needs Xmas ideas....and I need stickers for my planes!
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

A buddy of mine bought one a while back, he said the software was hard to work with, but it would do what you wanted. I like that you can put a pen in it and use it as a plotter, or load it with a heavier blade and cut 3mm depron for foamies.

All I know is he got a ~36" unit from ebay..in the looking I've done his looks like every other one I've ever seen. I beleive it cost him about $600 all told...

If you're not interested in doing extremly large stuff, check these out....

http://www.amazon.com/Xyron-900-Inch-Cr ... 497&sr=8-2
This one creates decals by printing them on laminate stock...

http://www.amazon.com/Graphtec-Multi-Me ... 497&sr=8-5
This one, and ones like it, are apparently basically a printer with blades...
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Terry, theres all kinds of plotters from cheap $300.00 12 inch plotters to $10,000 +, If your just using it for hobbie or for home use, a little 12 or 15 inch plotter will do it,
what they sell you is
1. size (the bigger the plotter , the bigger decals you can make)
2. speed (from 10 inches per second to 152 inches per second,
3. Pressure (this is important if you are cutting diffrent thickness media)
4. servo vs. stepper (servos are much better than steppers, faster, very quiet, more efficiant)

I have 2 Panthers a 24" and a 40" these are the fastes plotters in the market at 152 inches p/s, and have a pressure on the z axis of 600 grams of force, these will cut thick masking material, and even pvc sheets
I also have a 38" mutho prismjet eco-solvent printer for wrapping vehicles
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Mine is Roland Stitka 12" and I bought it on e-bay. Can't even remember how much. There are a lot of people selling vinyl on e-bay too. It's amazingly cheap.
dditch

Re: Vinyl cutter for decals etc..

Post by dditch »

I have a Pcut that I got off of ebay 3 years ago. I've done heat press stuff for Jerseys and shirts as well as vinyl that I've applied to planes and cars and windows. It's not a bad printer and it came with software that is not that hard to use. If you learn the software, you can convert b&w bitmaps to vector and plot it out. I'm somewhat experianced at graphics already so it was not that hard for me. If you don't know graphics, then your learning curve will be steaper.

Here is what I got :
http://www.uscutter.com/Creation-PCUT-V ... _p_74.html

I have the 24" unit w/o the stand. I think I paid $150. I kept bidding till I got a pretty low price. Probably bid 20 times till I got lucky. They have smaller ones.

It even came with a PEN attachment and I was able to use it as a full 24" plotter and plot out some autocad drawings using plotter paper I got from work. I recall it emulates an HP plotter.

I have my flying group's logo (wack-a-mole) on a couple of my combat wings (see my profile picture).