I'm trying out a different covering, good results

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

ptsullivan

Re: I'm trying out a different covering, good results

Post by ptsullivan »

Has anyone discovered how this stuff breaks? Other coverings would "pop" and others would "stretch." It's tough to describe
exactly what I mean, people who have seen various failure modes will probably know what I am talking about. I've been
looking for something to replace ripstop (since it is so heavy) but I have not quite found the right one yet. This one looks
promising.
Thanks,
Pete
Peter Sullivan
RCCA# 529
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/Pete-Sullivan/Area52_MLC_narrow.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/Pete-Sullivan/2007_0324_00147_strip.jpg[/img]
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

inside the circle I drew I replaced about 9 inches of the LE and covered the fix with the red covering vinyl, and by the TE there was some small cracks/holes I filled in with PU glue and just patched it with red paking tape, both patches stick very good, so repairing a wing is no problem. I just test flew it this past sunday and She's ready for some tail next month :twisted:
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Update: I found an easy way to apply the covering to a wing using one piece per side.

I simply cut my covering to desired shape, remove the backing and lay the covering sticky side up and a large flat surface. It lays good and flat with no curling on edges.

After dusting the wing with 77, I carefully place the wing down onto the covering. After the initial stick I can flip over and finish smoothing by hand......fast, fast, with no wrinkles, no seams, no nuthin :mrgreen:
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Max wrote:Update: I found an easy way to apply the covering to a wing using one piece per side.

I simply cut my covering to desired shape, remove the backing and lay the covering sticky side up and a large flat surface. It lays good and flat with no curling on edges.

After dusting the wing with 77, I carefully place the wing down onto the covering. After the initial stick I can flip over and finish smoothing by hand......fast, fast, with no wrinkles, no seams, no nuthin :mrgreen:

Since the wing isn't flat, do you roll the wing back and forth from LE to TE to pick up the covering onto the wing initially? Do you do any pulling on the ends of the covering to get it tight onto the wing or just rub the cover onto the wing and then hit it with some heat?
"Tail end Charlie"
Criticize by contributing

Roy Appleton
RCCA# Ex-541
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

..........nope, the object is just to get it stuck lengthwise at first. I just lower the core till it touches the covering at about the spar. Press down along the spar and flip it over.
No pulling is needed as this material is very easy to work with....its actually easy to eliminate wrinkles by smoothing it by hand from the spar area out....

After the covering has adhered, just use a heat gun and a cloth to rub down into the pores of the core........ it shrinks up just fine.

..........best covering I've ever worked with.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

I just bought several rolls. So far, so good. It's kinda "stretchy"(being vinyl) and I suspect that it doesn't add any strength, but it does seem to be easier and faster to work with.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
RCCA #908
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/garyjames/Trample_the_Weak.jpeg[/img]
The End

Post by The End »

Kinda curious... I know Pete Sullivan used this stuff on his last two Makos and they looked great. I don't recall him getting tangled up too much in the air, so I don't have any idea regarding toughness.

What do you guys think so far?

And, finally... what is the official part number or whatever for this stuff?

I'd be glad to not use ripstop..
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Here is a link: http://www.signwarehouse.com/c-VAVA6O2410.html

At the Richardson contest David Turner and Bob Starr had it on their Axes and maybe could weigh in on the subject.
I didn't see much damage on their planes.

I was using some older taped airframes so I can't give an opinion on durability yet.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

It shows minor "dents" easily, but it is still pretty good stuff.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
RCCA #908
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/garyjames/Trample_the_Weak.jpeg[/img]