Tyvek covering?

Share your secrets for building safe, durable planes that kick butt!

Moderator: hbartel

gsjames

Tyvek covering?

Post by gsjames »

Has anybody tried using DuPont Tyvek "housewrap" for covering SSC and B wings? It's almost impossible to tear and although it is a little heavy, it probably is about the same as bi-di tape. One would have to glue it down with 3M-77 or perhaps water-based contact cement.

I know that Tyvek is made in several different types. The kite guys use a thicker, "fuzzier" version for kiddie kites and the post office uses a thin, slick type for their mailing envelopes.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Don't know of anyone that has tried it and lived to tell about it.[;)] I guess it's up to you as agent 007 to infiltrate the lab and report back to headquarters. I know one agent tried the shrink wrap that is used on boats but it proved too heavy. Bi-di is good but it is like adding lead. I use it in all critical areas but don't do a complete cover to save weight.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Never could make it stick and stay flat. It really wrinkles up if any moisture get on it. At least on the stuff I tried.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Ron Caravona tried TYVEK covering on Bat Trick wings. Like Dr. Evil said it was hard to apply and wrinkled badly. His wings weighed about 2-1/2 lbs each.
THend

Post by THend »

The Albert bros used it a few years ago, ugly, didn't stick..wrinkly.

Not to say that it can't be done.
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Well, another idea down the tube. Thanks for the guidance everyone. Too bad that it doesn't work well, it's tough stuff.
THend

Post by THend »

I don't think all avenues have been explored...

Tyvek is tough as nails.
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Looks good untill... you get it in the sun and a little humidity. Wrinkles badly. Too heavy. If you want to be competitive build disposable cheap wings with just enough armor to survive a glancing blow. Nothing survives a direct hit in open b. My opinion.
Ron
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

May have to bring out a vintage T-Rex and prove you wrong!!
boiler

Post by boiler »

Bring it on Rick. I'll see you at the NATS.[}:)]
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Yaeh Yaeh you mean t-wrecks. OLD technology. Probably so much varnish on those .25's they wouldn't turn over. :)
RC
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

So how about "MicaFilm"? I think that it's essentially the same thing as very thin Tyvek. Of course the "brand name" stuff from the hobby shop would be prohibitively expensive, but they must get it from somewhere. Since MicaFilm is already being used on models it must not have as much or a wrinkling problem as Tyvek, and MicaFilm probably has an adhesive on it already. It might be too "high temp" to apply over foam, but on the other hand, it might be worth a look. It's tough stuff.

<EDIT> Well, I've been searching the web and it appears that Coverite brand "Micafilm" isn't available much anymore but that Solarfilm has a similar product called 'Fibafilm'. Neither Micafilm or Fibafilm have an adhesive. Surely there must be some commercial product other than box bi-di and sealing tapes that is cheap and works. I'll keep looking.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Ron,
I am not sure if Rick was talking about his T-Wrecks or his T-Rash. In any event they were exceptional planes in 2001 and with a little development would be as good as anything out there today.

Rick maybe you could update it and call it the T-Rickfic.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I can't remember if it was Lou or Ed that brought up the Doculam material, but I don't think it gets any cheaper than that. Laminator Warehouse has several versions, from 1.2 mil to 3.0 mil thick. At $38 plus shipping for 2 25"x500' rolls, I don't think it will get much cheaper than that.

The Icarex stuff is tough, but not cheap-10 bucks for a yard x 40". Of course a roll of Bi-Di is too expensive to me, for what it is...
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Crashout,
Doculam is inexpensive but has no strength and must be ironed on. The two rolls I bought will last for generations to come.