Cutting coro with CNC hot wire?

Share your secrets for building safe, durable planes that kick butt!

Moderator: hbartel

crash_out

Cutting coro with CNC hot wire?

Post by crash_out »

I'm working on a CNC hot wire cutter right now, and was wondering if it was capable of cutting 4mm coroplast. I realize you'd have to clamp the coro up vertical someway, but was wondering if the wire would be able to melt the coro with a predictable kerf, and could do it without the wire hanging up.

Any advice on what to watch out for on building/using the CNC in general would be welcome as well. I'm using the HobbyCNC electronics package, and the metal frame kit from www.8linx.com with 1/2" shafts and 3/8" Acme rods...
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Hi Nick,

The hotwire doesn't work well on coroplast. It has to be very hot to cut at all and gets hung up on flutes. It's been tried. [:)]
THend

Post by THend »

I'll help you out in any way I can. CNC is really fun, but it isn't as easy as we all think.

Now, building the CNC foam cutter is a VERY good first step toward CNC. The GM software is fairly easy to use, and there are many of us on the forum who can help. There is a fantastic forum on Yahoo too. Crap, I just remembered that Guilles Mueller is coming to So Cal, and I would like to meet him. Shoot, need to go check on that.

I have all the electronic guts to a HobbyCNC router because, back in the day I was going to build one. Well, I have a pretty good CNC router now, and I need to sell off the electronics. Been thinking of cutting all the parts for the router, and maybe selling the package.

Again, I am no expert, but I have been treading in the CNC waters for a while now, so IF I can help, I will.

TH
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

The concept itself seems pretty simple to me. I have experience with some CNC controlled machinary in the past. Not that it's even remotely similar to the way I perceive this to work...People like Guilles seem to have developed the software to the point that it's basically "insert picture, set speed, press cut, and watch it go." The electronics portion seems pretty straightforward as well...cap A into slot A, resistor B into slot B, solder, check...

Actually what scares me is that it does seem so simple and logical to me...kind of makes me think there's something I'm missing.

I was actually going to document the build and start up of the machine. I guess that way if it works it would help someone else, and if it doesn't, then maybe it would be easy for someone else to point out where I mis-stepped...
THend

Post by THend »

Do it, I have built one and am technically competant. Many of us in the RCCA have done it too.

Build it, and combat planes will be made...