What ya changing for 09

Share your secrets for building safe, durable planes that kick butt!

Moderator: hbartel

lightning

Post by lightning »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Captain America</i>
<br />I think I'm going to try a pilot change... nothing else seems to be helping!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I agree with you [:D][:D][:D]
dirko

Post by dirko »

My first year I finished close to the middle in NPS getting those 140 point rounds. Of couse it wasn't intentional, it just worked out that way do to lack of skill. I might have gotten two or three cuts my first year. Those 140 point rounds add up, but it's not as much fun as flying.[V]
boiler

Post by boiler »

I agree Dirk. Some of my most exciting rounds have been a one on one battle with a superior pilot. I may come down with 40 or less points, but I had 5 minutes of heaven. I tried Ultra coat on a piece of 15# pink foam and it seemed to work fine. I will be able to finish the Ultimate Bipe wing without sheeting it with balsa. I may put some sheeting (1/32) in places to prevent dents from hauling etc.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Have the three SSC birds done, need to maiden the last one over the weekend. First of the Open B ships is ready to maiden, waiting on the servos to arrive to continue working on the other 2 B ships. The first one came out 3 pounds 0.5 ounces, so I may up armor the net two a bit as I have some reserve.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boiler</i>
<br />...Some of my most exciting rounds have been a one on one battle with a superior pilot...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Bob, you are obviously referring to me here, thanks for the compliment!
dirko

Post by dirko »

Scott

I hope to see you <u>fly</u> at NATS and Maybe the kids could do their own pitting. Talk is aways cheap. Especially when I'm concerned, because I talk better than I fly. But, I can tow a streamer with the best of them. [:D]
AIM

Post by AIM »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boiler</i>
<br />I agree Dirk. Some of my most exciting rounds have been a one on one battle with a superior pilot.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That was the same for me Bob but it seems of late that a superior pilot does not exist....
I've tried sandbaggin and simply just flyin figure eights but I guess even my subconscious skill just is toooo much for the rest of ya.[:D]
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AIM</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boiler</i>
<br />I agree Dirk. Some of my most exciting rounds have been a one on one battle with a superior pilot.

That was the same for me Bob but it seems of late that a superior pilot does not exist....
I've tried sandbaggin and simply just flyin figure eights but I guess my subconscious skill just is toooo much for the rest of ya.[:D]

Dont you mean semi-consious??[|)]
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

I think we can free scott up for some flying this year, im working on a deal to bring Eric over to team Rupp for an undisclosed amount of cookies and Video games. This should not only help our lackluster performance of late but also free Scott up for some flying.
lightning

Post by lightning »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Captain America</i>
<br />I think we can free scott up for some flying this year, im working on a deal to bring Eric over to team Rupp for an undisclosed amount of cookies and Video games. This should not only help our lackluster performance of late but also free Scott up for some flying.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Ah, that's what you meant by
<br />"I think I'm going to try a pilot change... nothing else seems to be helping!"
boiler

Post by boiler »

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Captain America

I think we can free scott up for some flying this year, im working on a deal to bring Eric over to team Rupp for an undisclosed amount of cookies and Video games. This should not only help our lackluster performance of late but also free Scott up for some flying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You mean free him up for some streamer tug duty.[;)]
boiler

Post by boiler »

Well I have all the spare SSC and B wings I will need this year done and I just finished taping a replacement Zero wing which I should finish tomorrow. After scaling up a Bearcat fuselage and deciding I would cut the wing in 4 pieces instead of two, I decided I really wanted another shot at my favorite P-40. I already have the templates and I know I can put it on a diet while keeping the same basic construction. I have figured out how I will be able to use a clunk tank instead of the bladder in the wing. I plan to try a pop bottle canopy instead of the foam I used before. I will try a pop bottle cowl as well. Today I reduced the tail weight of the main frame from one of the original P-40 ships and have the side view completed from two 2 inch slabs glued together. Tomorrow will be the tricky part, splitting the fuselage horizontally to position my twin rail frame.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

All of the construction projects are complete and test flown. I am really impressed with the Open B ships ... unlimited climb, quick acceleration, easy launches, mucho fun![:D]

I flew all of the Open B ships yesterday with help from Lee, and with a little tweaking to stiffen up the horizontal tail with a CF tube they will be good to go. All of the planes ended up needing new glow plugs, something for folks to check during their "spring cleaning".
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

A couple of photos from yesterday. Lee was trying out his latest Frankenplane, a P-51 fuselage mated to a rebuilt Falcon wing, running on a 6S setup (Lee, jump right on in here with the facts[:D])

and here's a picture of the cartoon scale SSC-39 and Open B-39
The kits will have 64" wings, but mine are cut down to 60" to fit better in my vehicle. I am trying to decide which was more fun, flying the Open B ships on Sunday or firing this bad boy full auto on Friday night[}:)][;)]

Decisions, decisions .....
THend

Post by THend »

Either way, just glad to be in California when either of those "go off"

[:p][B)][:0][:D][:D][:D]