Streamer problem?

Share your secrets for building safe, durable planes that kick butt!

Moderator: hbartel

gsjames

Streamer problem?

Post by gsjames »

I noticed something at the contest yesterday that may indicate that we have a problem in the making. In Open B, there were several cases in which the streamer was never cut, but it fluttered away little by little due to the speed. In this case, the contestant SHOULD have received 120 points for keeping his whole streamer, but instead only received a very few streamer points because there were only a few feet left. :( The contestant didn't complain to the CD about it, nor would this have made a difference in the final standings, but this could have been an issue and might become one at the NATS. :!: You could actually look at the streamer every few seconds and SEE that it was shorter than the last time you looked. We ran into a similar problem in CL Combat many years ago and found several solutions, unfortunately none of them are easily applicable to RC Combat. We could use forestry tape, but no one wants to do that because it is TOO hard to cut.

This was with the new streamers from David Smithgall. (which look GREAT by the way. :) Thanks, David) I am wondering if the paper manufacturer is making the stuff thinner or using shorter pulp fibers. Has anyone else noticed this, and if so have you come up with a solution? :idea:

I think this is only a problem in Open B, since the SSC planes are too slow to shred the streamer due to speed.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
RCCA #908
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/garyjames/Trample_the_Weak.jpeg[/img]
lightning

Re: Streamer problem?

Post by lightning »

gsjames wrote:..................... We could use forestry tape, but no one wants to do that because it is TOO hard to cut..............
Actually Gary, that is not quite true. There are several of us who prefer Forestry tape as it does mean that streamers last further into the round. One of the Ohio guys tried to get approval for its general use, but it did not go far.
Bob Loescher came up with a compromize solution that cut halfway through the roll of streamer material before it was rolled into individual streamers. This does make the streamer more likely to break when snagged, rather than requiring a prop-cut.
We have used it on several occasions where prevailing humidity has turned paper streamers to mush, or after several paper streamers were lost before "Start combat".
There was a rules discussion about the legality of using the stuff in other than wet conditions and the conclusion was that paper streamers are the "Recommended" material, not required, which leaves it open to individual CDs if they want to try something else.
From what we have seen in our events, use of Forestry tape does NOT appear to result in generally lower scores.

The downside is that it takes a LOT longer than crepe to decompose - something that other club members may find objectionable if it is caught in the local trees and bushes for months. We sweep our field of ALL streamer material after an event, but we don't go after the stuff that is not on the mown flying area.
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
Hat Trick

Re: Streamer problem?

Post by Hat Trick »

Streamer shedding has not usually been a big problem. It is worse under some conditions. High humidity mostly. And with very fast planes. The last batch if material was a little different than the usual stuff. When I ordered it the manufacturer had the machines set up for ink that would not run. Told me it was the same otherwise and there would be a long delay for the regular stuff. When I got it I could tell it was differant. It was a lot stiffer and did not stretch at all. Probably shreds worse than the origional material but I have not tested that at all. I won't accept that type again! Although it was nicer in that if you touched it when it was a little wet you didn't turn black!
Mike Fredricks
RCCA# 109
Home of Hattrick Enterprises
www.hattrickrc.com