Aileron hinging

Share your secrets for building safe, durable planes that kick butt!

Moderator: hbartel

PFawcett

Aileron hinging

Post by PFawcett »

I use a "S" type hinge for my ailerons. Here is what I do:
first I make 12 small strips of strapping tape
then i over lap 2 strips 1/4" and stick together sticky side to sticky side
then i tape one to the bottom of the wing and one to the top right next to each other, I do this at 3 spots on each aileron
lastly I set the aileron inbetween and press the tape down
and there you have a nice never come loose aileron hinge!

now how do you do your hinges?
Paul Fawcett
RCCA# 1034
midair02

Re: Aileron hinging

Post by midair02 »

I use basically the same technique. I don't put all the tape on the wing and have to fuss with sliding the the aileron in bewteen the "fingers."

Masking tape was used for illustration only!!! Use Bi-Directional Tape or Regular Strapping Tape. I personally use 1.5 inch Bi-Di for the hinges.

Take 2 pieces and put the sticky sides together overlapping a quarter inch. Each hinge requires two of these. 3 hinges per aileron are recommended. One on each tip of the aileron and one in the middle. 3 hinges are good for SSC, Limited B and Scale 2948. I would go with at least 4 for Open B.

Line up the tape so that the overlap will be at the trailing edge. Note one piece on top of wing and the other on top of aileron. Do this for all the hinges on the aileron.

Lay aileron upside down on wing and line up the hinges.

Fold over all of the pieces of tape onto the aileron.

Fold over all of the pieces of tape onto the wing.

With the aileron at a 30 degree angle downward, add a strip of tape over the top of each hinge, making sure you keep the aileron tight to the wing. This helps keep it really tight.

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD 2 PAGE PDF
William "Dominator" Drumm III
RCCA Secretary/Treasurer #713
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

The over-under method is exactly what I use, doing it the way Will described.

Very strong, very tight and zero flutter...............the aileron will fail before the hinge.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
boiler

Post by boiler »

I've used that method for about 6 years now. I thought everyone knew about it. I even posted pics for Ed Kettler. The last 3 wings that I'm currently working on, I did the standard 3 hinge pairs per side and THEN used the two long strips along the length of the aileron for an air and fuel seal. Time will tell if it is worth the extra effort and weight.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
PFawcett

Post by PFawcett »

I made this post for the new guy looking for information.

I do these hinges under the covering. So when I cover the wing. I go over them top and bottom with tape/vinyl. So they should also be sealed from fuel and air.
Paul Fawcett
RCCA# 1034
EK

Post by EK »

I also use over/under but with 4 sets/aileron (3/4" wide). Aileron is cut/sanded so the contact surface is in the middle of the TE instead of the top. Tape hinges are applied to the top and bottom of the wing with the sticky ending on the mid point. Also installed is a piece of milk jug (3/4" also) just inside of the outboard and inboard hinges. The milk jug is installed in a slot but not glued or pinned. Stiffens up and really helps hold the aileron centered. The milk jug eliminated the flutter on my B wings (so far at least).
Evan Wenger
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

I'm not getting the milk jug deal at all. Maybe I'm tired. :|

-= Dave
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
EK

Post by EK »

I am/was of the belief that too floppy of hinges contributed to flutter. Early in 2012 I hinged several wings with milk jug plastic (just a rectangle shape installed in slots in the TE and aileron, pinned in with wd40 spray tube). Ailerons worked great until they took a hit and the repair was a nightmare because the pins tore out TE and aileron material. I went back to the overlapping method but liking the centering and dampening the milk jug provided, I installed 2 on each aileron (inboard and outboard) without pins. They're held in place just by the slots and the adjacent overlapping hinges. (My ailerons hinge about the mid point in the TE instead of the top.)
Evan Wenger