Hitec HFS-04MG Single Conversion Rx

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

Hitec HFS-04MG Single Conversion Rx

Post by sgilkey »

After reading some posts on another forum regarding this Rx, I checked into it further. It is a single-conversion FM unit, 4 channels, advertised as full-range and function (not a "park-flyer" Rx). Concerned about "single conversion" I called hitec tech support, explained our application of 10-12 planes in the air at once, close proximity, blah blah, they said as long as all the Txs are modenr narrow band units there should be no problems with range, 3IM, rejection, etc with this Rx and said it should be fine for combat. As a point of reference my understanding from Keith Jones is that all JR Rxs (other than PCM) are single conversion, and seem to work fine for combat. Anybody had experience with these Rxs, pro or con?
wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

It is true that JR are single conversion but they have "ABC&W" processing. Whatever that is. I have not tried the mg4. I did warn a friend about them though because of bad experiences with other single conversion receivers(not the mg4). I bet the indoor/parkflyer guys could confirm good/bad on these.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I see that Polk came out with a new small 6 channel reciever that can use any frequency and any transmitter. You have to place the transmitter antenna close to the reciever antenna and push a button on an extension wire to the reciever. It locks onto the frequency and your good to go. With a synthesizer transmitter this would be way cool! The reciever is around 60$.
wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

Hat, I have been eyeballing these as well. If anybody hears anything about these, please let me know.
Bad Dawg

Post by Bad Dawg »

Scott,
I bought a couple of the 04-MG's last year. They work fine for me in the air, but they take a single conversion crystal and I have scratched my head for quite a bit in the shop trying to figure out why a brand new RX wouldn't work with a brand new crystal when I changed freqs. Yeah, I had put in the wrong Ch 53 xtal. I was supposed to use the green ones, not the blue, purple or red ones.
Bill Geipel

Post by Bill Geipel »

The Rx made by Polk is called the SEEKER 6. Several of us have been using them without any problems. They're small, cheap,light and don't require any crystal. Set up is easy- turn on your Tx close to the receiver and push a set button. If you want to change the frequency, repeat the procedure. The servo leads plug into the end of the receiver.
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

Very interesting, do you have a link to a site?
thojo

Post by thojo »

I've been using the HFS-04MG's for over a year with NO problems. Run em at Paris and Dixie with no glitches. You can buy 3 of them for the price of 2 555's, so its a pretty good deal!
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Yankee Samurai

Post by Yankee Samurai »

Scott, Used the HFS-04MG this last year, once in an 11 plane heat. Not a glitch or hitch what so ever.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

thanks for the suggestions, guys, based on your good feedback I bought a bunch!