Mini LF Servos

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

Richshaw Runner

Mini LF Servos

Post by Richshaw Runner »

I've been in RC arenas for many moons. Have run the gamit from heavy scale to light electrics but here recently the combat bug has been pulling on my apron strings while in our shop.

We have sent for 12 GWS Mini LF servos from ServoHut.Com because the specification numbers seemed fair and the price was right. These lil critters have some real hefty speed and torque issues, a lot of bang for the buck. I've had sailplanes with some rather costly servos not look as impressive as these.

Really feel good about them, looking for some feed back from you pros. We are new but not vigins to RC.
danpow1973

Post by danpow1973 »

Not a pro but I use GWS Mini Std because they weigh around an oz and ave full size gears.......The main thing for combat is to have either Full Size or metal gears..smaller servos with nilon gears strip easily
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Howabout Carbonite or whatever it is in the HS-56s?
adamdb

Post by adamdb »

I have been using a pair of the HS-325HB standard size servos that have the Karbonite gears and really like them. They seem to be pretty tough. One of them has twice had the servo arm broken in mid-airs and the gears are still okay. They seem quieter than the regular nylon ones too.

Adam
zeek

Post by zeek »

I use Bluebird BMS-380mg mini's. Good quality servo at bargain basement price. Weighs .46oz and pulls 35oz/in. Suufered sevral wing to wing midairs and a couple of direct hits on the servo box with no damage. I get them for $38AUD which means you guys should be able to get them for about $30.
Richshaw Runner

The Mini LF servos are the same as the Mini STD in (case and motor). From what we have been told it's a gear ratio change which is how they derive the specs. See attached link for the specifications. http://servohut.com/HTML/mini_series.htm

Interesting is that most stripped gears come from the control rods being pressed back against the servo arms (crash) which in effect places a huge amount of pressure on the gears by reversing the gear ratio. A direct hit on the servo if at all, most often affects the case but because there is no back force (not including the prop)during the impact (absorbs)minimum damage if any is the norm.
thojo

Post by thojo »

You can't beat the Hitec HS-322 and 325's. I've had more servo arms busted off, and I'm talking the heavy duty red Hitec arms than I can count, and only lost one set of gears that I can remember..
cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

I used to use a LOT of the GWS mini standards. I stopped using them because they just seemed to have trouble holding up. For $10, they're not bad though. The main problem I had was the cases are too thin and would break. Also, the ones I used had some gears that literally protruded thru the case. They were covered by a sticker, but the sticker tended to fall off once it got fuel on it. The other issue, shared by all GWS servos, is the short lead. In almost all cases, you have to add a servo extension, so factor in a hidden $4 upcharge to thier price. I know a lot of pilots use the minis though, with much success.

I do still use a LOT of the GWS micro-metal gear servos- on all of my elevator and ailerons. These have proven to be a tough, strong (74 oz apparently), and afforordable combat servo. They weigh 1 oz, and cost only $18! The only place I've ever been able to find them:

http://www.gwsexpert.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=395

Good luck, and let me know if you try it, or if anyone lese has used this.

Mark C
Richshaw Runner

Mark we sent for two of those GWS Micro Metal geared servos from Servo Hut and received them this morning. They are smaller in size than the Mini and have thicker and stiffer arms than the standard servos(3)in set and orange color to boot. See specifications here http://servohut.com/gws_servos__all_cat ... 0index.htm

Thats a lot of torque for such a small critter, 75oz./4.8v and 89oz./6v. Cost just $4.50 more than the Hitec 325 which they also have. With the metal gears and this giant torque you may have something there, thanks for the lead.