Digital Spread Spectrum for RC Combat

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

RCCombatGuy

Digital Spread Spectrum for RC Combat

Post by RCCombatGuy »

<font color="navy"><font size="5"><font face="Comic Sans MS">
I bought a Spektrum DX7 a few weeks ago for my 36% Edge 540T.

I'm very interested in its use for crowded frequency events such as RC Combat. Just think of how much it would ease the contest directors job in assigning pilots to each heat!

I'm sure everyone has questions. Please post your experiences here!

<ul><li>Have you put a DSS system in your RC Combat bird and flown it in an event? </li>
<li>What has been your experience? </li>
<li>What should we be looking out for? </li>
<li>What tips/tricks would you suggest? </li>
<li>Would you recommend DSS or not and why? </li>
</ul>

I'll post my experiences as soon as it gets warm enough to fly!
</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size5"></font id="navy">
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I don't own one , It's a nice 7 channel/20 memory radio, but I think im gonna wait till the receiver's price drop down (if they do), or some cheaper aftermarket receiver become available.
slam

Post by slam »

drew and i have been using dss for about a year now. i have retired my regular transmitters.

this system has worked flawlessly for both of us. since we fly only electrics, we are able to use the dx7 version with ama blessing. i do know several people, some high up in the ama that have been using the dx7 in big gas stuff for a while with no problems.

i just throw in the reciever, no worry about the antenna routing or hitting metal or carbon.

of course the best part is not having to worry about frequency conflicts. there have been several times that i have been at the field, it has been slow so there are only 10 people at the field, and i have a conflict with 2 other people.......that s@cks!!!!

NO MORE!!!! no more frequency conflict......ever................

slam
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Here is a link to what I am waiting on---
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/index.php
---------rick
boiler

Post by boiler »

The link doesn't work for me.
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Try it now---------rick
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

That's really cool Rick! Thanks for that link! I'll be waiting for that too! I really like my older transmitter with real buttons! I can program it in the air and am real familiar with it's systems. I think it's almost impossible to program the newer radios in the air with a touch screen. No buttons to feel for!
boiler

Post by boiler »

Looks like the retrofit wave of the future for transmitters. I have one transmitter that would accept a module.
RCCombatGuy

Post by RCCombatGuy »

Rick,
I've been watching that link for a while now. it's interesting that they've now stated that thay can not take orders.
The last time i saw the sight they were promoting orders but they only had the rapid protype model of the receiver & tx module.

The DX-7 receivers are not so pricey when you compare them to synthasized Futaba receivers.

I'm looking forward to putting it on my 9CAP. I also have a hell of a lot of 72 MHz receivers to sell soon!

Scott
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

I just like the idea of keeping the tx I am familiar with. The 8 ch rx will be $100 but if it saves a plane it is worth the extra to switch. I also will have a bunch of FM rx to sell (or probably give away).--------rick
boiler

Post by boiler »

We all will have TX and RX to give away. Why not plan on giving it away to new combat pilots that join the RCCA?
RCCombatGuy

Post by RCCombatGuy »

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="5"><b>The new Futaba & JR Modules offered by Spektrum look pretty cool!</b>

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/AirProducts.aspx

I have not seen Extreme Power Systems deliver a product yet. They are still trying to find molders for production parts.</font id="size5"></font id="Comic Sans MS">
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I think I will wait for the prices to come down ... almost as cheap to buy a whole new set to just upgrade my (c.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Very TRUE , ED.

After half of the pilots migrate too 2.4 I wont worry about the PIN anyway.......[;)]

Futaba came out with a 6EXA 2.4 system. Only problem with it I see, is that they kept the Model to 6 only [:(]
Unlike the Spek 7 with 20 model memory.
I hate the idea of upgrading ALL my receivers [B)]
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

You said it Frank! I try to keep 3-6 planes for each of four classes I compete in ready to go, so at last count that's 20 Rx on 72mhz. in as many planes.

I don't care how wonderful spread spektum is or how much the price comes down, unless they start giving receivers away, there's NO WAY I'm converting all my combat stuff!