Is anyone as dense as I am?

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

boiler

Is anyone as dense as I am?

Post by boiler »

I started to set up my planes on two new transmitters for the 2008 season. I discovered that when you set up the Expo function, it doesn't set it up on both the high and low rates. You have to set up the Expo on both the high and low rates for both the elevator and aileron. I wondered in the past why I launched just as squirrely on low rates as the high rates where I had set the Expo. The old dog ain't too smart but isn't too old to learn. I just figured there might be a few more out there that didn't know this needed to be done.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Cool we can always use an extra streamer in the air.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Seriously, I did know that, but I have found a plane now and then where I only set expo on one rate. Makes a huge difference, especially on a flying wing.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I use the "KISS" method on my setups ... everything gets an intial EXPO of -20 for high/low on ailerons and elevators. It seems to work, although my chief test pilot Col Hargett despises EXPO. I guess I just do it to annoy him[:D]
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

What's fun is when you switch from Futaba/Hitec to JR, and accidentially set up "reverse" expo before you figure out they go the other way....
boiler

Post by boiler »

My solution to that is never fly JR.[;)]
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boiler</i>
<br />My solution to that is never fly JR.[;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">If you don't fly JR <i>and</i> don't use expo, it's even simpler! [:p] [:D]
boiler

Post by boiler »

Very true Alex. I can't keep from over controlling when I get excited without -50% Expo. Not flying RC until after I retired and then going into combat the next year was tough on this old dog. I could tame down the throws so the planes only fly like a trainer but that would make me an easier target than I already am.[;)][:I]
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

If you don't fly JR <i>and</i> don't use expo, it's even simpler!

Or you could just live in a cave[:D]

Seriously though, why does Futaba think expo is negative, you are adding expo, not taking it away. JR/Spektrum

Wrong thread but nice pictures Alex in the MA article. I feel famous now as everyone at my renegade field was congratulating me on it yesterday.
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

I don't use the dual rates anymore. if you dial the expo up correctly it flys real civil around the center and radical throws right near the end. all depends on what you like i guess.
lightning

Post by lightning »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drewjet</i>
<br />If you don't fly JR <i>and</i> don't use expo, it's even simpler!

Or you could just live in a cave[:D]

Seriously though, why does Futaba think expo is negative, you are adding expo, not taking it away. JR/Spektrum

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">First of all I fly JR so positive expo is no problem BUT if I look at the Futaba perspective, you are REDUCING the travel around stick center so why wouldn't it be logical to call it NEGATIVE.
After all you are subtracting movement so, if you reduce travel by half that should be -50% right???
THend

Post by THend »

http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_file/fi ... manual.pdf

Page 11 of 25 for the Hitec.

http://www.jrradios.com/ProdInfo/Files/ ... nualv2.pdf

Page 46 of 104 for the JR.

I have no idea how JR explains this other than the note. I like the Hitec explanation, and it makes sense graphically too!

OH well.

I too learned this a few years ago by accident. I use Hitec.