Base/Center Loading Rx antenna

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

M. Gillette

Base/Center Loading Rx antenna

Post by M. Gillette »

Anyone have experience with this? I was talking to a guy at the Toledo Show about the length of the antenna's on the Berg 4L's and he suggested I center load them to shorten them up. Its basicly winding the antenna around a 1 1/2" length of a drinking straw.

Right now I'm winding them through a series of holes I drilled in the coro in the Vert.Stab. 4" wide and 3/4" vertically, with 5-6 turns around, without any radio problems. I have a feeling I'm going to lose an Rx or worse form a prop strike with the antennas like this.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

On my post planes the reciever is near the tail so I bring the antenna forward and loop it through the tape that holds on the tank and then back to the tail and pass it through a zip tie or something else back there that is handy. This usually leaves only 4 or 5 inches behind the tail. I've found you can live with quite a bit of the antenna missing. Read somewhere the minimum was 18". I found some of the tiny antenna wire at Toledo from a guy who sells LED's to light up planes. Most of mine have at least one splice in them!

The base loading works fine also. I've done that too! You could probably put the wrapped part inside the fuselage!