radio repair

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

Bruce B

radio repair

Post by Bruce B »

i have a futaba 9c radio and the bottom half of the Lcd screen quit working.there is a permanent black spot in the upper left side of the display.i have talked to two repair shops and both are telling me different things.one says the screen is about 60.00 plus labor.the other says the lithium backup battery has probably gone bad,and the screen is part of the main controller board witch costs 400.00.anyone got any advice on what to do?
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Did you call Hobby Services? They might be able to tell you what part(s) are bad based on your description. I have 8UA Tx and they will sell any part I've ever needed to fix one myself. If it's not a "cheap" part but is the expensive board, as an alternative buy a used 9C, I see them all the time for 150ish which is a lot cheaper than a 400 board.
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

At servo City you can buy a new 10C for $400
http://www.servocity.com/html/10ca_2_4ghz_systems.html
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I picked up a couple of spare 8U's on ebay for around 100 to 150. Cheaper than repairs!
I love 2.4!
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Mike,(and other 8UA users), if you are a gorilla like me and Brian, you will (or already have) extended the antenna and in the process broken off the antenna mounting tab in the Tx case, ripping out the guts as you continue to pull the antenna out. The first one I did, I replaced the front case (part from Hobby Services, nice and cheap), but a NIGHTMARE job to move all the boards, etc. into the new case. The second one this happened on, I replaced the antenna with a Rubber Duck. The Rubber Duck mounts completely differently and is much easier than repairing the case. On all my other 8UA I went in and epoxied a plywood brace on the antenna mount tab, not sure if that will help or not. On the newer 8UA cases, the mount tab is substantially beefed up with ribbing, etc. that my older cases don't have.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Never had that problem. Must be a wimp I guess!