Spektrum DX6i elevon issue

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

ZenManiac

Spektrum DX6i elevon issue

Post by ZenManiac »

So this issue may only apply to a small number of pilots, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. By the title, you can see it's only for someone using a DX6i and a flying wing design plane. While I don't fly this for combat, I recently completed a couple of slope plane flying wings. On my first plane, a Windrider Bee Evolution, I noted these problems:

1. The ailerons didn't seem to have the same deflection as much with full right stick as it did for full left, and

2. I couldn't set the differential (different amount of "down" than "up") - it showed "Inhibit" and we couldn't enable it. The manual said differential should work for both the flaperon and the elevon settings.

For problem #1, I thought that maybe I made some incorrect mechanical connections, and since my servos were buried in the wing, I blew it off. Then I built a second wing plane, a Weasel, and noticed the same problem. Google saved the day, and I found the below documentation and test platforms on RCGroups that someone set up to demonstrate the same issues I was seeing:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940867

The fix suggested works great, and also solves what may be a inconsistency in the documentation as it relates to transmitter function for problem #2.

I think more people are moving toward 2.4 GHz, and don't get me wrong, I really like the DX6i, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone else was in the same situation.

-= Dave