HobbyCity DSM2 Receivers

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

HobbyCity DSM2 Receivers

Post by Ed Kettler »

Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
Dane McGee

Re: HobbyCity DSM2 Receivers

Post by Dane McGee »

I saw those last week, and was wondering the same thing. Cheap enough and light enough thats for sure.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

I did some testing on some, but need air time to feel 100% confident. I'll let you decide, but I plan on using these. It really makes the conversion to 2.4 more feasible. Since I have had no response to how to embed YouTube video in the threads, I'll have to post a link instead. So far I am pleased and have read good reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBNERnugH0
Orange 6Ch Rx End.jpg
Orange 6Ch Rx End.jpg (153 KiB) Viewed 15678 times
Orange 6Ch Rx Side.jpg
Orange 6Ch Rx Side.jpg (171.96 KiB) Viewed 15678 times
Orange 6Ch RX Top.jpg
Orange 6Ch RX Top.jpg (254.51 KiB) Viewed 15678 times
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Thanks for the information, and I look forward to hearing how the tests go.

All I know how to do is embed the URL for the video. I'll check with Don Grissom the webmaster to see if there is a way to embed the YT clips.

Ed
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Ground tests looked good, as you might be able to see in the video link above. I perceived no glitches or loss of input control in full range testing with the antenna very shielded and running through the house with multiple electrical fields and noise. So far, I feel pretty good about using them. I should have it totally outfitted in a new plane running a Lipo and UBEC at 6.0V for radio power shortly and will let you know how it goes. Here is another similar test with a lot more stuff blocking the signal. Absolutely no loss of input here, but I'm sure you may occasionally get a dud in the bunch as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAQDO3y5cfo
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

These are marketed as being full range receivers. I was skeptical at first, especially with just the single short antenna, but I feel better about them now. I later realized that I needed to shield the bottom more as well, so I redid the test one more time and put the receiver in a thick metal pot for melting ammo. The antenna was in the carbon tube, the bottom and sides of the pot were lined with approximately 2" of lead bullets, sheets, and solid chunks. I placed the receiver, esc, and Lipo down in that and then put about 3" worth of lead shot in bags on top of it all. I placed the lid on the pot and placed the heavy steel plates around the pot in the direction that the signal would have to travel. With all of this, the signal did begin to have interruption at 18 paces...but realistically, this is a crazy amount of metal between the receiver and transmitter. As far as shielding go, I don't think I'm concerned. As far as ultimate range, time will tell, but as mentioned before, combat planes are not really flown that far out, so I suspect it will be a non-issue. I'll be putting about 10 of these in service this year, so I should know for sure before long.

BNC
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

I took the same receiver with the Lipo/UBEC setup and range checked it sitting on a table at the field. Again with the Range Check/Binding button pressed, I walked out to failure. I made it exactly 125 paces out!. I measured my pace length to average 2.7 feet, so that equates to 337.5 feet!

BNC
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
midair02

Post by midair02 »

Over 100 yards!!! That's all you really need for combat.
William "Dominator" Drumm III
RCCA Secretary/Treasurer #713
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

midair02 wrote:Over 100 yards!!! That's all you really need for combat.

Considering that the binding/range testing button is intended to weaken the signal considerably, in actual operation, the range should be more than adequate. Not to mention when I did lose signal, there was no delay in it returning once I took a couple steps closer again, which is unlike most Spektrum receivers.
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Excellent feedback! I will be buying some for my DX8
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
lightning

Post by lightning »

Six on their way for my DX7.
That should set up my SSC fleet.
I need to prove them to myself before I move into LIM-B, Open or 2548, but I'm hopeful these will let me move to 2.4Ghz without breaking the bank!
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Field testing of the receiver in a combat plane was flawless. Not problems whatsoever. So far, these are looking like good candidates for combat, and other planes as well.
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
The End

Post by The End »

One was tested at Palomar last week as well. Everyone is jumping on them.
Dr. Kamakaze

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

I haven't made the jump to 2.4 yet (lotsa 72mhz that work fine), but I do have the spread spektrum module for a backup transmitter that I got on e-bay. I heard issues about "brown outs" when the voltage drops too low and some people have been using 5 cell packs instead of 4 cell packs with their receivers. Has this issue been tested as well with these receivers? I know Bob Loescher thinks very highly of the extreme power systems receivers which supposedly work down to a ridiculously low voltage.
Andy Runte aka "Dr. K"
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
Andy "Dr. Kamakaze" Runte
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876, North Central District Rep
AMA #273119
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

I have not uncovered the same issue with brownouts with the Orange receivers, but I always run 6.0V batteries. I started doing so because of the brownout issues with Spektrum brand receivers, but once I enjoyed the extra speed and torque from the servos, it seemed like a no-brainer to stick with them. At $10 for a 400mAh 5 cell 6.0V NiMH, I didn't really look at it as a financial issue, but I was also starting from scratch and not trying to use up what I already had on hand. I'm not familiar with the other receivers.
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954