Scale Piranha's ?????????

If it flew combat between 1935 and 1955, here's the place to talk about it!
Also a great place to talk about Competition!

Moderator: hbartel

Ben Morrow

Scale Piranha's ?????????

Post by Ben Morrow »

Guy's I'm not much in the Scale dept., I need some help here. I have a BUNCH of those danged "Ole" Texan's that think they can shoot pool, Fly an airplane (Full Scale RV-6) and one that has a pretty liddle "Pony Tail" and say's he's a Bad a$$ combat pilot!!!! [:D] Well, back to my problem... I'm looking for a fuse to cut from foam (or something) and hack the tips of the wings of my Piranha's and make some sort of scale plane so I can fly with these guy's come Oct. here in Tennessee! Nothing too pretty, just something legal so I can make their day a little tougher! You know the ole "Furball" I figure if I poke and hope at the ribbon's enough, just maybe I can take a few Texan's out! Or at least be a pain in the butt to fly against.

These wings have a straight leading edge, tapered trailing. And 64" before I break the saw out. [:D] Anyone have any idea's on what might work??

Hell I want ta fly some scale here at home!

Ben Morrow AKA "Hillbilly"
www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Go get'm Ben?

Whats the length 28"?
Cord 12" tips 8"

w/s adjustable from 64"?

Hmmmmm[:p][:p]???
Ron
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Ben,

Try a P-40 outline and see if the wings will fit that shape.

Ed

Ed Kettler
RCCA 533
AMA 730493
Plano, TX
Bad Dawg

Post by Bad Dawg »

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/manat ... brand.html
http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/manat ... movik.html

Would either of these work?

NUNC AUT NUNQUAM
Mark V.
The perpetual 'newbie'
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Ben
I had a idea. Put the wing pylon on the bottom of the fuse. That would raise the engine and tail up. How about a ta-52? I think the wings where tapered front and back (a little band saw action should do the trick). There is a picture of it in ED's post.
Ron
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Bad Dawg's post has a great source of plane outlines to choose from. If you can split the wings and get double taper, you have an almost endless set of possibilities for WW2. Straight front with tapered trailing edge ... several Curtiss birds come to mind:
P-40, P-36, Hawk 75, SB2C Helldiver
Ryan Fireball
Heinkel 219 (twin)
Northrup P-61 Black Widow (twin)
IAR-80
F7F Tigercat (twin)

Have fun and let us know what you build!
Ed

Ed Kettler
RCCA 533
AMA 730493
Plano, TX
wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

Just cut the root at an angle and get a sweep back on the leading edge and forward sweep at the trailing. The spar might have to bend a little in the middle, but I bet it would be easy as long as fiberglass rods were used. Wood spars might be more difficult.

Wes 'Sheepy' Parmenter
[img]http://home.swbell.net/sheepdip/sheepy.gif"[/img]

AMA CD 456266
N0ZCE
RCCA 358
thojo

Post by thojo »

The TBD almost has a straight leading edge...

Pictures of airplane stuff:
http://jwtfamily.org/rcgallery

Post by Ben Morrow »

Wow Guy's thanks for the response!

Ron,
You may have come up with something here!!! I think I know just what your talking about and with the wing seat on the bottom I could just about cut out any fuse we could find that would meet the rules!

The problem is finding a bird that has the leading edge like I need... You see the wings are finished "Except for sawing the tips! :-))"

Some sort of plane that is as slim as possible, so I can whoop a few of them dang no pool shoot'n, no hair cut'n Texan's! [:D] If anyone has an idea for a plane, please post a picture so I have somthing to go by. Also fuse lenght wind span (As mush span as possible)needed for that plane and stuff like that where when I show up I wont be turned away because there's no such bird ever been seen in the air antwhere but in Dickson, Tennesee![:D]

Looking forward to Oct guy's!!! Just ain't got the planes, and not much time to build!!! Grass grows like CRAZY!!

www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Ben
what is the root of the wings and tip at 55" and 50".
I would put the aileron servo on the bottom of the wing in the center. Gotta find a plane with a bomb or radiator to protect the servo to land on .
Ben are you going to clunk tank or bladder???
We'll find something.
Ron
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Ron,
Root 10" with Ails. 50",7 1/2" W/A's.... 55" 7 1/4" W/A's. I can trim the Ailerons down more or bring them out more on the tip's "Trimed Now" .. The servo I can mount either way, that's not any problem. On the Bladder, I can go either way there too, but I'll have to look for some old neddle valves out in the garage.. (Think I have them)Plus I would have to put the bladder tube in the fuse, wing too thin.. I'd love to hear those older norvels scream again with my old mufflers! [:D]I gave up bladders because I couldn't shut the engine down quick enough, and got a little "skeered" about hitting something.[:I] About took Fuller and his Wife out one day at the Dixie Nats kinda shook me up a little! But I'd run um again!! It was kinda rough seeing everyone hitting the dirt![:0][B)][8)]

www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Ben
I'd run the bladder with those venturis. Lee's at the nats were screaming. Webra's .25gts with George Cleveland purple people eater prop. I guessing 21k or more. Pulled those big A-1 around like toys.

Stock piranha's with 64" wings and 3 full size servo's weighed what?
3lbs.
So if you knocked the wings to 55" saved 2 oz's. Going to bladder probably saves .5 oz. That means the fuse can't weigh more than 10.5oz. Not a problem since its not load bearing. 3lbs 8oz is the limit.

I'll get my WWII book out tonight and see if I can find a slim fuse with a 55" wing and 10" root. Rounded tips close to 7" at the tip.
Ron
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Yea Ron, It's more like 3.2 or 3.3 Ready to go. I've been thinking and the bladder tube could be used, just straped to the wood fuse with a cut out and sanded to shape fuse.

Let me know what's in the book.

Thanks,
Ben

www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!
D-mon

Post by D-mon »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I can trim the Ailerons down more or bring them out more on the tip's "Trimed Now" .. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ben,
Can you trim them to get this much taper?

Fisher XP-75 Eagle
Wing span: 49 ft. 4 in.
Length: 40 ft. 5 in.

More info on it:
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/xp75.html
http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1438.htm

HTH,
D

Darin Bellis
Ledyard, CT
RCCA 426
So many cool planes, so little time...
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Morning Darin,

Thanks for the input as your one of those "Scale Masters" !! If 10" at the root will work, then I can trim down almost all of the aileron at the tip I can get it down to 6" @ 55" ... So from 10" at the fuse to 6" at the tip I think would work. I may loose a little roll rate, but I think there would still be enough to work...? It would be nice if I could have 6 1/4" at the tip for just a 1/4" of aileron out on the tip. That would be nice! I like the looks of the plane too! I notice 2 side profiles also.

What do you think?? With my 10% can it work or do I need more like 50% ??? [:D]

Break this down in inches for me, fuse lenght, stab, and width on the fuse ... and I love that BIG Stab...![8D]

THanks!
Ben

www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!