Scale Piranha's ?????????

If it flew combat between 1935 and 1955, here's the place to talk about it!
Also a great place to talk about Competition!

Moderator: hbartel

Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Hey Darin and Ron,

One GOOD point is that I sure wouldn't have to worry about any flutter with a wing like that! If at all possible the 55" wing would be nice!

Ben Morrow AKA "Hillbilly"
www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!
D-mon

Post by D-mon »

Ben,
Sorry, I don't have time to do a complete rundown on this one. I wish I did have the time! [;)] But, here's the best I can do for ya:

Best bet is to print this drawing, take it to Staples or some other other copy place and have it blown up to the size you need.

HTH,
D

Darin Bellis
Ledyard, CT
RCCA 426
So many cool planes, so little time...
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Darin,
What you've done is a huge help! I really like the plane and will see what I can do.. I'm a little worried about the 4.4" wing tips. I'm not sure I can get the cord that slim at the tip.[:(] I'll see what I can come up with but I don't know. "BUT THANKS" for what you've done, it had to take quite a bit of time!!! Not to mention the knowledge to do it!![;)][^]

OH Yea, I don't know how much more "Complete" a person could ask for!!!! COOL!

Thanks Darin!

Ben

www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!
Bad Dawg

Post by Bad Dawg »

Ben,
I was looking at the Devestator Thojo posted and it measures out to a 12.5" root chord and a 6" tip chord when sized to a 55" WS (1/12th + 10%). The fuse would be 35" long, and 5" in diameter. If I were CD I don't think I'd notice any lack of LE taper. That baby would give some very low wing loading.

NUNC AUT NUNQUAM
Mark V.
The perpetual 'newbie'
D-mon

Post by D-mon »

My pleasure Ben!

And, thanks for the far-too-kind words. [;)]
D

Darin Bellis
Ledyard, CT
RCCA 426
So many cool planes, so little time...
slam

Post by slam »

ben, another option is the bf-109h. it only has a 48" wingspan but the wing is is similar to the open wings in shape. the tips are about 5" and the root is about 9".

maybe with some aileron trimming you could make this work. i also have the petg wrap fuses for this already.

slam
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Tell me more Slam... I need about 6 fuses for a small fleet to compete with in Oct. I'll wack the wing in half if that's what it takes! Win lose or draw, don't really care. Just wanted to fly with the guy's... And to be honest about to throw the towel in and just help Micheal out, then get Sh** faced with some good ole boy's from Texas! Mark, Bob, Lee and ole Iron Head Cajun if I could get him over here! (You guy's have a place to stay if you want!) But let me know so the cooler is WELL stocked up.... :-) Bob you got that elbow oiled yet??......... The table is waitin!

Thanks Slam!

www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!
Bob Leone

Post by Bob Leone »

Ben
Glad to here you are going to fly in this one, it wouldn't be any good you on the sidelines.
As far as a plane, don't spend a lot of time on it, because I'm bringin those mean old Skyraiders, and they are hungry.
Is it october yet............Is it october yet..........Is it october yet.
I've been oiling the elbow quite a bit.
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Bob,
You better oil that elbow pretty good! Ole Ben been warming up just to beat you and break the tie we;ve had going for a while on the table. Be ready to drink PLENTY ! And this time "No Smoking" for you as I would hate to look off the deck While Mark, Debbie and myself are having coffee again and see you all bent over (Not feeling to well! [:D] Thanks sooo much for the offer! If you have enough planes I'll fly those suckers! I do plan to have a Fulmer that Ron gave me a couple years back, so I'll fly as long as the planes last.

Thanks Buddy! Come on Oct.!!!

www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

so, Ben, with all this great input, what the heck are you going to build, and plaese post some pictures along the way!

Ed

Ed Kettler
RCCA 533
AMA 730493
Plano, TX
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Ed, The way it looks right now I'll have a Fulmar and a Boeing. On the Boeing I'll have to get it down to 3.5 and could be a problem?? Maybe not though...( I Hope 3.5 is correct) Fly as long as I can, then enjoy the company! That's the best part whit this bunch coming! [:D][xx(]

www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

UPDATE! Thanks to the help of you guys and "Slam" ! The plane of choice will be the Devistator that Thojo posted a while back. Still have some R&D to go , but I have time to get it done. Postman dropped of a nice little package from Slam today, with cores and set of full size plans to go by! This is a HUGE help for a Non Scale guy! Thanks for all the help guy's!! And it looks like a scale "Fish" will be at the contest. maybe more than one??. Slam, I just wanted to thank you on the forum for your help, work and plans!! Thanks buddy, and I hope to make it up to you in some way!!!

www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!
slam

Post by slam »

now that ben has some cores and is building, a quick question.

are the scale planes out there running 0 incidence, positive or negative?

he runs alittle positive on his pirannas and this is the same airfoil. i read somewhere that a bottom wing uses negative when top wings use positive.

thanks....and thanks ben for doing the r&d on this.

slam
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Slam and Ben,

I try to set up all my planes at 0 incidence, 0 thrust and 0 tail incidence. Emphasis on "try".

Ed

Ed Kettler
RCCA 533
AMA 730493
Plano, TX
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Thanks ED,

That's what I'll shoot for. [:D] Na , the meter don't lie, I'll get it.

www.downhomerc.com

"Furballs" are for me!