Looking for P-51D Information

If it flew combat between 1935 and 1955, here's the place to talk about it!
Also a great place to talk about Competition!

Moderator: hbartel

dsharpe2

Looking for P-51D Information

Post by dsharpe2 »

Can anyone direct me to books and display art for P51-Ds from WW2. I am preparing to start work on one of HatTrick's P-51Ds as soon as he ships it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Squadron/Signal Publications http://www.squadron.com/has several books on the P-51, as does Osprey. You can search their web site for books, and use keyword Mustang.

These books can be found at most hobby shops that do plastic models, like Hobbytown USA.

Best of luck!
Ed
dsharpe2

Post by dsharpe2 »

http://www.fourthfightergroup.com/

Seems to have some pretty good pictures. I found a few books. Has anyone else read any of these (Are they worth buying?):

The 4th Fighter Group in World War II
Garry Fry & Jeff Ethell
1980 Arco, 226p., HC (Cloth), DJ
ISBN: 0-668-04768-2

Aces of the Eighth

(Special)
Gene Stafford
1973 Squadron/Signal, 63p., SC
ISBN: 0-89747-055-9

Aces of the Mighty Eighth

The Mighty Eighth

A History of the Units, Men and Machines of the US 8th Air Force
Roger Freeman
1995 Motorbooks, 311p., HC, DJ
ISBN: 0-87938-638-X

Maybe we could build a documention page that would reference books with good drawings/pictures and history?
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I have the Gene Stafford book, and it has quite a few schemes, some simple, some complex. I used the Squadron/signal 325th Fighter Group: Checkertails (SC) for my P-51B reference. The Squadron/Signal books are generally pretty good, but usually you get just one view of the plane. The Osprey books are somewhat dependent on the author, so you need to find a copy to preview it. I've been quite happy with their Aces serices, and have the ones for the Corsair, Wildcat and Typhoon aces.

Have you tried a Google image search yet? That usually gets some good images. I think Thojo also has some pictures on his photo gallery.

Ed
mad

Post by mad »

Lots of pics on www.mustangsmustangs.net
THend

Post by THend »

I have the pilots manual, and maintenance manual. I'll look for some good images for you. It is really cool, if you were to do a scale masters thing, this info would be what you want.