R.I.P 2610

If it flew combat between 1935 and 1955, here's the place to talk about it!
Also a great place to talk about Competition!

Moderator: hbartel

mad

R.I.P 2610

Post by mad »

Man this topic has been dead. Is that the way 2610 is going.
Other than Kirk is anybody putting the T.O.C on their calendar for early Oct.
Is there anybody building or flying 2610 this year
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

we'll be flying 2610 at our meets this summer in our area. it's still our first love and we won't give it up without a fight. some of the guys are buildilng 2548s to give it a try but we all still like 2610!
boiler

Post by boiler »

I plan on going to the Detroit scale meets and the nats as well as the toc. I fly anything anywhere I can. Building for 5 classes and transportation for more than 2 is a pain. Oh, and I'm trying to get my feet wet in electric as well.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mad</i>
<br />Man this topic has been dead. Is that the way 2610 is going.
Other than Kirk is anybody putting the T.O.C on their calendar for early Oct.
Is there anybody building or flying 2610 this year
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It is on my calendar! Looking forward to it!!

Ed
montague

Post by montague »

I was planning on driving to Detroit, CT, Nats, the Scale TOC, and maybe a few others.

Fwiw, the Detroit guys should look at going to Bloomfield. It's not that long of a drive, and it's more 2610.

Unfortunatly, I got layed off due to budget cuts. So, no contest travling until I find another job. And then contest travling only if I get vacation time and enough pay to make it happen.

I've already had to ditch going to Havoc. If I don't find work pretty soon, the whole season will go *poof* for me. argh!
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Kirk, really sorry to hear that you got cut.[:0][V] Same thing happened to me with IBM. [:(!]

Hope you can find something soon![:)]
THend

Post by THend »

I wouldn't even think about driving the last nail in that coffin. 2610 resurrection here in the South West, we have all voted and will be flying modified 2610 rules this year. We took what we like from 2610 and 2548 to make a new class of our own. Rather than start up the ole haggling machine, we decided to just do it. We will keep you guys posted on how it goes for us. Truely the only way to go is to actually "do" what you are proposing. I am excited about Scale and think we may be on a good track. Time and contests will tell.

th
boiler

Post by boiler »

Kirk and Roy, what did you do and what are you interested in doing? The membership if they are like me would be glad to keep an eye out for you so you can tow streamers again.
jfromm

Post by jfromm »

I really like 2548! I don't like certain aspects about the rules but I have a fleet of P40s, P39s and soon to have P51s. I can’t do 2610, for it’s too fast for me. If you make it a 2548 event, I’ll be there.

Terry,

What are you doing different? I wonder if we are doing the same thing.
THend

Post by THend »

No rpm checks, spec props, time frame reduced to 1945, no jet powered aircraft, spec up to 48 wingspan allowed but not mandated, no approved list, fly or no fly based upon pilots voting on looks, no min weight,,,

Take 2610, pull the years back to 1945, eliminate the mousse cans and ultrathrusts, allow pilots to scale up to 48 inch wingspans, peers allow or dis allow you to fly if it is a turd. Something along these lines. go to http://southwestrccombat.com and check it out.

I have seen a few designs fly, and they fly well, but not with unlimited power. Plus, it is a war, trade offs abound. If you want a tough plane, it will be heavy, if you want fast and maneuverable it may not survive a midair, it goes on and on. Fly our way and see if you like it. AREA-52, which is basically all of the SW District is nothing more than an experiment. Try it, tell us what you think.
mad

Post by mad »

Jay, there will be 2548 at the SCALE T.O.C.. If you can recover from the woopin ole long haul is going to put on you at havoc come join us in Oct. and get your revenge[:D]
jfromm

Post by jfromm »

Now you are talking. I'm a production machine when it comes to 2548 and have a fleet ready to fly. Once Long Haul gets an education at Havoc, he will also be ready to come in second, behind me, at the TOC. Rumor has it that Chris is afraid to fly against me at Havoc. I think I’m intimidating him with my Great RCCA Emperor thing.
jj

Post by jj »

There are several of us in Colorado who still have interest in 2610. This year though we have tried 2548 and that edged out 2610 from our events. Unfortunately the 2548 planes are a bit marginal up here due to density altitude issues.

I think that we will either be able to revive 2610, or I have proposed a different idea of 2648 where we have the scale judging and 48 inch span, but no engine limitations. George Kerr flew his 2548 plane that way in Open B (after problems with his B plane) and did great!
Bender

Post by Bender »

<ul><li>Maximum power limitation provides approximately equal speed for all models. It is good news #1 (from my point of view). </li><li>Scale all models up to certain maximum wingspan also is good news #2 because it provides equal chances for different prototypes. </li> <li>Certain minimum weight provides limitation on arm raising (keep model price in appropriate range). Good news #3 </li> <li>Scale judging pushing pilots works on scale fidelity. (Cut of models behind scale standards) Good news #4 </li></ul> So: Between two classes I am choosing scale 48, but approved aircraft list makes me absolutely unhappy. (Because of it cut of a significant part WWII aircrafts daily participating in air-to-air combat).

I will definitely fly 2610 only if approved aircraft list became official. But my expectation is realistic: when new class became official the old scale 2610 will probably exist only on paper.

What I know for sure:
Get seriously prepared for a two scales class is too much for me (as well as for many other pilots).
THend

Post by THend »

[:D]Ahhh, now you are seeing things in a win-win view of sorts![:D]