Question for all pilots...

If it flew combat between 1935 and 1955, here's the place to talk about it!
Also a great place to talk about Competition!

Moderator: hbartel

Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Chris,
The KI-64 is in the book. You and Bodnar and those darned twin inlined engined weird airplanes. Oops, I guess Bob Wallace is also guilty - didn't he kit them with glass fuselages?
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I did the Ki-64 first! Kicked some butt in Billings Montanna a long time ago! Still got a bunch of KI and Fulmer wings on the don't know what to do with them pile!
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hat Trick</i>
<br />... Kicked some butt in Billings Montanna a long time ago! Still got a bunch of KI and Fulmer wings on the don't know what to do with them pile!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Mike...
1. Take them off the pile
2. Wipe the considerable accumlation of dust off of them
3. Pick the best parts
4. Assemble and put in your shipping box to send to Mac for Dixie.

You may have to saw the tips off of them to be legal, but that will help them fit in the box
Mike Gullikson

Post by Mike Gullikson »

Hello there Ed,

I don't know Chris by name or can't put a face on him, I may have met him if he has flowen at one of our combat meets. SRAC - Snohomish Radio Areo Club. our field is is just north of Snohomish WA.

Randy, thanks for the invite, I will keep in touch to try and make those dates. I'm a stressed out postal worker (Mail Man) and work most sa* * * *ays. I do get a sa* * * *ay off every 6th week and will try to get there, I'm using most of my vacation this next year to go to the NATS.

I'm still working with the club to be able to invite other combat pilots from around to come fly at our field, problems with the field owner on that issue.

Yes the twins mustangs are coming back. I sold or gave away all of them a few years ago when I started up my part time business of screen printing t-shirts and the like. so now I'm building a whole new squadran of them, currently there's 10 plane's worth of parts sitting on my work bench allready cut with 8 wing have's built. Should have them on finale assembly by the end of the year. I'm putting OS 15 CV-A on them this time. I had to many problem's with the RJL's. I still need to get rid of all the spare parts I have for the RJL's.

and yes Fredricks KI-64's did kick my butt at Billings, looked like some preastoric bird coming out of the sky and snatching my streamers

thanks for the invites.
Yankee Samurai

Post by Yankee Samurai »

Mike,
You're welcome anytime. Just receive mail from Chet his May contest date is the 19th which would be a lot closer than mine. We spend the night at his place and there is plenty of room for more pilots. What kind of spare parts do you have for the RJL's? I have three oringal Cox's and two K&B Cox's but I know most of the parts are interchangable.
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

That's right Lou, the Wallace Ki-64 has a glass fuse / sheeted foam wings. His work is first rate and makes for a good looking and flying 48" span scale model. They are also easily repaired even when extremely damaged. (See my rebuild pics in the debrief from this years Dixie Nats) I'm still flying the same three I started with at the beginning of the '05 season.

I also like Bob Wallace's Ta-152 kit, also 48", which is of the same constuction and workmanship. It should be noted that these are short kits which only furnish the glass fuse and wing cores. The builder provides all other materials.

I have ordered from him as recently as early this year and e-mail him occasionally to chat. I don't know why his link or at least some mention of his kits is no longer in the appropriate place on this site with the other kit manufacturers.

Mike, it's great to hear your enthusiasm for the F-82, also my personal favorite. A Twin Mustang was my front line plane at this years AMA Nats in both 2610 and 2548. I only went to single engine back up when mechanical and eventual mid air problems grounded her.
I've been competing the F-82 since the Nats combat demo in '01 and quite a few times since then.

Like you I also enjoy scratch building the old fashioned way with balsa and ply technology. It makes for a lightwieght airframe that performs well and can be covered with conventional iron on materials.
My first two TMs were built that way, and I still have number two, which always generates interest when flown at the local field.

I tried an improved version using built up fuse and tail with a sheeted blue foam wing. The built up wing was a weak point of the earlier designs and this was a definate improvement, but ended up at the max wieght limit. The next generation will need to get a little lighter. I am also using CVAs on mine. I'll see if I can find a pic of the latest design I used at the Nats. Unfortunately, it came down hard on an ashphaltrunway after a midair during our "Bushwhacked '06-1/2" contest a couple months ago. I'm not planning to repair, time to refine the design.

Image Home in Florida

Image Bottom

Image Dixie Nats '06

Image AMA Nats '06

Image Bushwhacked '06-1/2

Image Sayonara
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Chris,
Are those the fabled Florida mountains in the background of the first pictures. I understand that Drew and Slam plan to mount an expedition to climb one of them in the near future. I think Drew is getting the oxygen packs while Slam is working on the belay pitons and ropes.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

The Mountains of Florida are very rugged, only real men mount expiditions to the top. It is a journey best done with a team of over 100 men and 200 pack mules
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Drew,
Where are you and Slam going to find 100 men, and 198 more mules?

For those who are looking for an easy way to get some scale combat ships going, look no further than Pavel Stein and Stein Model at:
<center>http://www.steinmodel.cz/index.php?id=wwii</center>

The planes have glass fuselages, and pre-sheeted foam wings. Duie to light weight they would work for electric as well as glow and would be legal for 2610, as well as 2548. They all work for the Dixie Nats rules. Average price seems to be about $125 US.Here are some of their planes:

Swiss C3603 EKW Thun, 48 span:

<center>Image</center>

48" Span Ilyushin IL-2:

<center>Image
</center>

I really like this one, but at 43" span its a little limited for streamer grabbing area:

<center>Image</center>

Go to the web site to see their I-16 Rata, F4U Corsair (I had one of these and it flew great, very, very fast), ME-109, FW-190, and TA-152 series.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lou Melancon</i>
<br />Drew,
Where are you and Slam going to find 98 more men, and 200 mules?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Florida has plenty of the strong men required.
Georgia has plenty of the mules required, most of them towing streamer for me to cut.
Yankee Samurai

Post by Yankee Samurai »

Lou,
Are you going to import these models? If yes I'd be interested.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Randy,
I am thinking about buying three each of the 3603, Hawker and IL-2. The cost to buy in quantity is less and should offset the shipping cost. I've sent Pavel Stein an email asking about availability and will let you know.

Slam,
Those Florida mountains are just stepping stones in Georgia.
Mike Gullikson

Post by Mike Gullikson »

Chris, good looking F82's, I do mine up in all black for the night fighter version P-82's. theres nothing like the sound of a twin running, just seems to stop all other activity on the field to whatch. when both engine's are in sink theres nothing that sound's better. I also use P-51 mustangs as my back up when I runnout of twins, I always have a secound twin ready if I have engine trouble. I did have a lot of trouble with the RJL's and got rid of most of them, I havn't had a single problem with the CVA's at all. I should have pic's with in a couple of weeks to put up here.
Yankee Samurai

Post by Yankee Samurai »

Lou,
Keep me posted I have a friend in Boise that flies the TA-152 exclusively. He used to buy six of them a time from Neil Roarke. And I know he is running out of them so quantity wouldn't be a problem.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

I finally tracked down the Czech manufacturer of the Boeing XF8B. It is Combat Shop, and you can see their products at:

http://www.combatshop.unas.cz/

Here is what you get in the $125 kit:
<center>Image</center>

Nice looking plane:

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>