1/2A Are we sure this is what we want?

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Nice write up Lou and Chris. Am I reading this correct though, that in a simple wing to wing midair did enough damage to finish it for the day? obviously not major damage...but
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Drew,
It was a pretty hard whack. The wing saddle broke. If I had another set with me it would have been easy to slip them on and keep going, but I didn't have them yesterday. Wayne is looking at re-designing this part to make it more durable. He was aware of the weakness and already working out improved methods.
cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

Lou-

post some pics if possible! I initially had a hunch that the the lighter, single shaft designs may be less durable than the double shaft. Perhaps the improved design will offer comparable durability, with the benefit of less weight?

With regards to the RPMS that Scott is achieving, these do seem a bit higher than what we typically observed as well. Although, I never really wrote anything down or remember exactly what we observed. Let's try to compile a better account of what everyone is getting, taking into account conditions, fuel, engine, shims, and prop. Key is that we converge on a limit that is easily attainable for everyone. Scott- what type of glo-plugs are you using- Are you using stock?

MC
Thaman

Post by Thaman »

I am running a AP stock head and i guess all the shims i havent removed any of them 15% cool power fuel and 5.7x3 APC prop and im only getting around 17.5 to 18k what would help getting the rpm's up better fuel? removing head shims? i just cant get 20k out of it
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

My AP's run the same RPm'x as Chris. I took the head off one of mine and couldn't find any head shims.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

i'd suggest a castor-blend fuel, Cool power is all syn. I'm running 25% nitro with 20% oil castor/syn blend. have used Ritch's Brew and SIg wtih good results. For some of the reduced-power testing I ran Wildcat 15% with 2% castor added. Ran great. I'm running stock Norvel Freedom XL plug with one shim.
Thaman

Post by Thaman »

anyone used the Cox fuel to see what it does or is it worth it?
boiler

Post by boiler »

OK Scott, I think we need to include electrics from the start in the limited 1/2 A class. My initial thoughts are that we need a spec hershy bar wing chord and span. Minimum weight, maximum rpm, and spec prop. Lee has some ideas on starting time being reduced for electrics and additional weight to make up for fuel weight. He is actually working on those ideas for electric ssc planes but I think they are well thought out and fair for any mixed nirto and electriric limited class. I modified my 32 inch open model with armor and brought the weight up to 16 oz. The armored 40 inch model has a weight of 18 oz. Both have chords of 8 inches if you include the airlions. I have a 32 inch p-40 that I built for electric last year that was a failure that I'm converting to 1/2 A nitro to see how it does. As an electric it weighed 14 oz but I am not done with the conversion yet and don't know what it will weigh as a nitro plane. I hope it's not much over 16 oz with that little wing. We've had a great day to test fly yesterday but I had to work on the property and did the same today. I didn't get to work on planes at all yesterday but got in a couple of hours on the little guys as well as repair to my electrics. I am going to cut a couple more open B wings and a SSC wing after supper. What are your thoughts on incorporating electrics from the start in limited 1/2 A?
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Bob, even though I'm being accused of being anti-e, i had already included e provisions in LImited 1/2A. However based on recent discussions on eSSC it seems i need to give the proposal more thought, regarding the $ limit and so on. It seems to me Limitd 1/2A is an ideal class for all-e actually, the engines are finicky and at least lately, the Norvels are hard to find.
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It seems to me Limitd 1/2A is an ideal class for all-e actually, the engines are finicky and at least lately, the Norvels are hard to find.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<font size="2">Huh? I just bought everything I need for IC 1/2A??? [:(]</font id="size2">
boiler

Post by boiler »

I like the noise factor and will fly nitro for the thrill. Can you imagine the Indy 500 or a nascar race that didn't make noise. If we also get an all e class, I will fly it but will miss the noise. Right now I'm flying e combat in a gym with slow sticks. The hooting and hollering adds to the thrill but the engines don't make any noise. All you hear from the planes is the prop noise.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Dave, I'm still doing IC for the Lim 1/2A but it would be nice to figger out a way to have e and IC combined in this class, it just seems to be a good fit. or for all-e, some guys were working on e-open planes last season. i just ran my AP wasp 061 this weekend and it ran great so my concerns about norvel unavilability are less worrisome to me now. i like the AP.
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sgilkey</i>
<br />Bob, even though I'm being accused of being anti-e, i had already included e provisions in LImited 1/2A. However based on recent discussions on eSSC it seems i need to give the proposal more thought, regarding the $ limit and so on. It seems to me Limitd 1/2A is an ideal class for all-e actually, the engines are finicky and at least lately, the Norvels are hard to find.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You've been accused of a lot worse... I plan on flying mine E this year if it works out well. Would be nice not to have to switch out the motor for demos/events. we are planning on bringing up the E-As to your spring event to see how they compare.