Just a thought

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Well put Cajun. C class sounds good at first but the savings of using an engine you already have is soon lost and unfortunatly usually the prospective combat pilot along with it.

Lim B has a spec wing span and wing area so the standard is pretty well set. I'm not oppossed to having a more specific spec wing but I'm not too sure it is needed either. As long as span and wing area are set there is little differance in performance. A spec hershey bar wing does make the determination if the wing is legal a lot simpler though.
Thaman

Post by Thaman »

the best way to get new people into combat is to get them started and hooked in combat is at the club level then let them make there own choise as to what class they fly my self i like fast planes others like to slow it down a bit some likes small planes others like bigger planes. there will Never be a perfect class where noobs can fly along side a seasoned vet in combat and be able preform the same the reason is the experance in flying combat. when 5 new people give combat a try maybe 1 of them will keep on flying combat its not a matter of which class is better its what the flyer wants to fly just my 2 cents worth
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I started flying combat with the Gremlin in 1995.After doing it ALL in an 11 year period, I fly NOTHING but a SPEC B class that a friend and I came up with. It's by far the most fun I have ever had in combat. It's also the easiest and cheapest combat I've ever flown.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Jimbo, I agree totally. There's a lot to be said for just flying combat for the fun of it using low or no tech equipment, whether at the club lever or in an imprompto sortie between friends in the local school yard. High tech, purpose built planes have their place at Open B, SSC, or scale meets but lots of combat is still being flown at the local level just for the fun of it. And I think that's where Limited B needs to make it's stand.

We are trying to get combat reestablished in East Texas here in Nacogdoches by following Limited B rules except we will be requiring a spec wing, probably a 48"x12" hershey bar design with a set thickness. With this concept anyone can still use their creative juices on the fuse and tail components to make their designs as simple or complex as they desire. The planes can then be flown in local combat but also be flown in Lim B meets.

My desire is to hold a local 2-3 hour meet one Sat a month before the sport fliers start flying. My only idea in this is to get more of our local pilots flying combat using inexpensive and easilly built planes that they can also take to Lim B meets if they so choose. I'm optimistic we can get a nice group flying combat here again and hopefully the spec wing will keep the performance level self limiting. I have given up on trying to get guys interested in combat using expensive, high tech equipment. It's an excercise in futility[xx(].
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

I think Thaman probably hit the nail on the head the best....you just have to find the niche that works for your area/group of folks...As Jimbo mentioned he and I have run literally the full gamet of combat minus scale and while I don't think either of us would trade a minute of it we just have settled on SpecB for all the reasons Jimbo listed above and it seems to hold the most promise for us in this general area for generating some more interest. The key is to pick something that folks will feel is within their grasp....Jim and I would go to our club and fly our Open B birds getting ready for an event and the guys would give us the oooohs and aaaahs followed promptly by the "Oh I could never do that!?!"....So whether it be SSC, Limited B, some form of Spec class just get the birds flyin' and try to get the Tx in their hands and it'll go from there ;-) Good luck!!!!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Growing combat begins at home. Each of us has to find interested people, or develop them, in order for combat to grow locally, regionally and nationally. As the folks in this thread have pointed out, it is what the locals want to fly that is important. If they want to progress to a higher level, they may have to change equipment.

Be a combat pusher! "Hey you wanta try this? It's a rush!"
Grun-Herz-Geschwader

Post by Grun-Herz-Geschwader »

Hey Travis and Jimbo,

E-mail me I need some more spec b kits, so we can put.40's on them![:D] That's what we have been flying at the Beaumont Club![}:)]
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

Grun-miester......what up dog? So ya'll back to flyin' over there? If so I know Jimbo and I have been talking about dusting the ole' spec B planes off and doing some flying....what's you're current email address?
AIM

Post by AIM »

I've been tinkering with my LimB planes to make them as CHEAP and SIMPLE as possible and I think I've got a design that is about as close to a beginners setup (minus the .40) as you can get. It will be completely done and ready to fly today and I'm thinkin I'll end up about 3.lbs 3.oz with ALL full size componets.

3 full size servos
full size nicad pack
full size 8 chan reciever

I got all excited the other day thinkin I was gonna end up at 2.lb 14.oz because I was weighing it with an old worn out FOX .25. The FOX weighs 7.oz. I just recieved my Magnum .25 that I'm putting on this plane and it weighs 10.8 .oz so I'll be a tad heavier. (of course I need 3.3 anyhow) I think that LimB is gonna be the happy medium for begginners and pros alike. I still think that a Lim C would be great but there is no sense in pushing it If it will die out once beyond club level.
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

Bring it over when you get it finished today, I will test fly it in the snow storm for ya today!
lightning

Post by lightning »

Hey Aaron, it's not blue and yellow is it! [:D][?][^]
AIM

Post by AIM »

Nope it's a lovely shade of mauve with a multi floral bouquet hand painted on one wing tip and the whole thing very delicately accented with alligator tears green around the edges with pink shading.

It's truly a manly plane.[:D]