E-Falcon for 1/2A Combat

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

E-Falcon for 1/2A Combat

Post by Lee Liddle »

This is what I`ve been working on for 1/2A. It could be flown with a Norvel and a bladder, but......

Right now I have a BP12 on it and the performance seems to be right in line with what is being reported for the gas 1/2As. If/When I have to go to a spec prop and 18k to 20k, an inrunner will have to be used.

I`ve flown it with a HGimax 2025-2700 turning the APC 5.7/3 prop at 20k. I`d have to rename it the OhMyGosh if I have to use that powertrain. It honks. It was ripping around in 20mph winds like they were not even there.

Drew, this may be more of what you are looking for instead of the Zaggi type wings.
slam

Post by slam »

looks great!

what is the battery protector?

we have some zagi type planes flying now, we haven't pulled streamers with sticky stuff to see if the sweep is a handycap. hope to do so very soon.

i like the idea of a straight wing and the dual verticles make streamer pulling options better. maybe a harness between them to center the streamer....or maybe you don't need to center the streamer?

keep us up to date

slam
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Lee I like it. I would love to see more pics of your (what I believe to be) battery tube, and also your motor mount.

Hopefully we will be able to do some testing with the streamers on the Zagis soon.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

The pics are all with my camera phone. Not great quality, but quick and easy.

Here`s the complete fuse assy, and the pieces that it takes to build it. It`s pretty simple. This works for outrunners that have a shaft comming out of the back. Note: The 1/16" ply piece is cut with the "grain" running across the 1" width of the part. It is glued to the shaft with mediun CA. Then the skid (1/4" bass/spruce) is glued on. A little black paint, and it would look and feel like an unobtainium molded unit.[:D]

This works for outrunners that have a shaft comming out of the back. I think that the tubing is 3/8"id. The shaft on the back of the BP12 is 10mm. You make a slot in the brass tubing so that it will squeeze down on the motor shaft. I rough up the inside of the brass tubing with a dremel, then just glue it to the carbon tube (arrow shaft) with medium CA glue.

A close up of the mount in action. The clamp is just a standard automotive hose clamp, the smallest size. You have to massage it a little and then trim off the excess to get a good compact clamp, but it just takes a few min.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Here`s the mystery fuse/batt cover. It`s just a floresent light cover from Home Depot. The id is 1 5/8", which is just enough to fit over the fuse and the 1700mah Dualsky batt. I just cut the airfoil into the side and it slides on. I think that this is plenty of protection for 1/2A sized planes. So far I`ve just left the front open for good airflow. It doesn`t look real pretty, but it gives good cooling, and the plane is plenty fast. I`m checking out light weight toy baseball bats for the same function on the SSC pusher. Can`t find them in the stores yet.. so I`ll have to order a few.

Here`s what the cover looks like in it`s raw state. I think that they also come in clear. I painted the one for the plane. Sig Lustercote spray paint stick very well to this and pop bottle cowls, with no sanding.