New AVENGER 1072+ Open B Wing

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

New AVENGER 1072+ Open B Wing

Post by sgilkey »

Last year Brian was very pleased with the performance and handling qualities of his AVENGER 1072 Open B planes. AJ has further improved the design of this 72-inch span plane with several changes to the wing. These are principally a broadened tip chord, and relocation of the spars rearward. The changes can be seen in these two photos showing the 1072 wing and the new 1072+

These changes add a bit of wing area, add structure to the tips due to the broader/thicker core, and stiffen the wing overall. Compared to the 1072 wing, the 1072+ wing is noticeably stiffer. Test flights using a 1072 wing and the new 1072+ wing on the same fuselage show that the new wing handles sustained turning better than the old wing, with better speed retention through an even tighter turning radius, while still having at least as good (actually slightly better) roll rate. Wing deflection under sustained tight turns at full power is not evident.

While the new wing rolls and turns better than the old wing, the beefier core and relocated spar should further improve impact resistance as well. Test flights did not enable us to prove that yet (thankfully!).

After back-to-back test flights, Brian said he preferred the new wing in every way to the old wing. Overall the new wing is a noticeable improvement to an already fantastic design, and will make the AVENGER 1072+ an even more potent weapon! Great job AJ and TEAMSEAHOLM!
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

Scott, what is all of the black strips on the center of the wing?

Using full size servos for the ailerons?

Do you need any more covering scraps to finish your wings? [:D]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Chris, if you have any covering scraps, send em our way, we'll use em. the strips in the center are velcro strips for the wing saddle attach. i use full size servos for most stuff, at $8 a pop the savings adds up with two fleets each for SSC, 2610, B, LimB, Lim 1/2A and 2548. we have a LOT of servos and i'm not rich enough for them to all be mini MGs!
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

BTW there IS a good side

There is a reason for the distinctive and visible pattern on the bottom. Since you were about to ask, I'll tell you. See, it's so the other pilots can pick up the Gilkey plane easily. Because in combat, as with women, the old saying is "everybody wants a GILKEY." Everybody naturally wants to target my streamer right away, because if it weren't for me losing my streamer points I would likely walk away with NPS in all classes. SO here's where it gets tricky. I LET 'em see me easily, see. Then when they are on my six and about to cut me, I do that Maverick move, like the "Cobra" the Sukhoi pilots do, and the pursuer passes right by me. During the pass, I INSTANTLY cut his streamer. BUt it gets better. Wait for it..... I DON'T use sticky, and I have the stinger of my MCP pointed at the prop arc so as to BLOW the streamer AWAY from my wing LE and ONTO ANOTHER pilot's plane (this takes good timing but I got it...), that way the streamer piece, which i have ALREADY received a cut for, is now a TARGET for me to cut again. Slick, eh? geez, I should have kept this a secret....
AIM

Post by AIM »

I just fly around in big circles and pray.
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sgilkey</i>
<br />Chris, if you have any covering scraps, send em our way, we'll use em. the strips in the center are velcro strips for the wing saddle attach. i use full size servos for most stuff, at $8 a pop the savings adds up with two fleets each for SSC, 2610, B, LimB, Lim 1/2A and 2548. we have a LOT of servos and i'm not rich enough for them to all be mini MGs!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Scott,

I'll see what I have in the shop... [:p] I hear you on the $$, everytime I buy a can of formula for the boys, I think there goes another couple of servos.... [:D]
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

Of course, as soon as i get my new wings built...If you need me to help you test the structure of those new wings just say the word...