Gateway R/C Club needs help

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

Patrick Lanfri

Gateway R/C Club needs help

Post by Patrick Lanfri »

Gateway R/C Club asks for your help!

On March 8th Gateway Radio Control Club was notified by the VA that the City of Jacksonville has offered our model airfield as a possible location for a National Cemetery. Our site was ONE of THREE sites and an ALTERNATIVE option that was presented to the VA National Cemetery Administration as a possible site for a National Cemetery.

Please understand we are sympathetic to the need for a National Cemetery for our country’s veterans and are proud that the Jacksonville area has been chosen for this honor. However, one of the proposed sites (Site 4.1) would have a great detrimental impact to Gateway Radio Control Club, our members, several local businesses, and the community. Therefore we are asking the VA and the Mayor not to choose the site where our model field is located. In 1988 the city sold our old field to a developer, it took 4.5 years to replace the park.

HOW YOU CAN HELP.
I'm asking my combat friends to email or write Mr. Michael Elliott (VA) and or Mayor John Peyton (Mayor of Jacksonville) asking them to NOT choose Site 4.1 (location of airfield) for the National Cemetery. KEEP THE LANNIE ROAD MODEL PARK. If you provide just your name and email (Not your location) they wont know that your out of town). Sorry but their being a little sneeky as well.

Mr. Michael Elliott
Department of Veterans Affairs
National Cemetery Administration
810 Vermont Ave NW
Washington, DC 20420
Mike.elliott@va.gov
(202) 565-5892

The Honorable John Peyton
4th Floor, City Hall at St. James
117 W. Duval Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
jpeyton@coj.net

If you would like to read more, VA Website on the Jacksonville sites.
www.cem.va.gov/whatsnew.htm

Your help will be very appreciated, if you have any questions please feel free to email me.

Patrick Lanfri
President Gateway R/C Club
Jacksonville, FL
Lanpc@bellsouth.net
RCCA 714
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Done

Sent them both an email.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

DONE! ME TWO!
Yawnego

Post by Yawnego »

Both of them taken care of!
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

I got a reply back from Michael Eliott.

"Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and for hearing our concerns.

Andrew Stanley

----- Original Message -----
To: Andrew Stanley
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 3:17 PM
Subject: RE: KEEP THE LANNIE ROAD MODEL PARK

Mr. Stanley: Thank you for your interest in the new national cemetery. We still have several options to avoid disturbing the RC aircraft park. VA appreciates your support for the cemetery and understand your reservations concerning the potential effect on your park. Your concerns will be duly entered into the public comment record.

Mike Elliott
Director, Project Support Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 11:19 AM
To: Elliott, Mike
Subject: KEEP THE LANNIE ROAD MODEL PARK

Michael,

As a concerned citizen, I feel that we should have a National Cemetery for our country’s veterans, however, I do not think it should be in Site 4.1. This is our model airplane field, and it was very difficult to get it in the first place. We have spent large sums of money to get it to where it is at and we do NOT want to leave it. I think that there are many other fine places it could be put.

Thank you
Andrew Stanley"
Patrick Lanfri

Post by Patrick Lanfri »

That has been his basic response. The VA didn't know that the field was there, the city provided site info only, not what was on the site.
Bill Geipel

Post by Bill Geipel »

I also got a positive quick response from Mike Elliot.
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Patrick,
Just sent e-mail to both, will post any reply.
Patrick Lanfri

Post by Patrick Lanfri »

I appreciate it guys. So far 165 hits to this post.
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Patrick,

Here's the reply from Mike Elliott to my e-mail.

Mr. Handegard: Thank you for your interest in the new national cemetery. We still have several options to avoid disturbing the RC aircraft park. VA appreciates your support for the cemetery and understands your reservations concerning the potential effect on the flying field. Your concerns will be duly entered into the public comment record. By the way, I have stopped by the RC aircraft park a couple of times during my visits and have found it always being actively used by the members of the Club.

Mike Elliott
Director, Project Support Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Chris Handegard [mailto:chandegard@peersonaudio.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 4:41 PM
To: Elliott, Mike
Subject: VA Cemetery

Dear Mr. Elliott,

Regarding the proposed VA cemetery location to site 4.1 on Lannie Rd.

With the greatest respect for the needs of our service men and women to be properly interred and memorialized, I implore you to make every effort to place this new cemetery elsewhere and leave the Lannie Rd. site as is.

The modelers currently using the site have no where else to go and many of them are veterans of the armed service who require it's continued use while still among the living. Some of them are getting up in years and flying their Remote Controlled Aircraft may be one of the few pleasures left to them. This RC flying site is a vital part of the community and we who make frequent use of it sincerely hope that you will leave it alone when selecting the site for your new cemetery.

Urgently,
J. Christopher Handegard
jj

Post by jj »

done.