PTFE LIQUID HIGH RPM'S

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

o1moregil

PTFE LIQUID HIGH RPM'S

Post by o1moregil »

A friend gave me a cuple of oz's of liquid teflon ak PTFE (it's a white liquid) , he has been flying for lots of years now and he has flown lots of pylon years back, and he used to mix this PTFE with glow fuel for an extra 1000 rpm's or so, it also protecs your engine, I have not tried it yet but will on sunday on one of my open b ships, has anybody tried this liquid??
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Gil,
Several years ago Chris Quinn told me that when he was pylon racing they used to soak their engines in Slick 50 overnight in a crock pot to gain rpms. He was right, it does sort of work. If you soak the case, shaft, rod, piston and sleeve in Slick 50 some of the Teflon coating sticks to the parts, at least for one or two runs,after that it washes away. My engines picked up about 500 rpms. The stuff is really hell on glow plugs. If you could get the engine to fire you would pretty much be assured of a blown plug quickly until the Slick 50 disspated some.

Neat idea, but not the right way to go. I imagine putting it in your fuel will reduce friction, to what extent I can't imagine, but like all swords this one probably cuts both ways - if you get something you are going to lose something else, just don't what it will be till you try it.
RH

Post by RH »

According to wikipedia:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">PTFE is the main ingredient behind the renowned Greased Lightning fuel additive series<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Keep us informed [:)]

r