Open B Combat Wings

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

tiger_musky

Open B Combat Wings

Post by tiger_musky »

I saw that there is an Open B combat meet in Ontario, Oregon in September and I'm within 6.5 hours of it, I'm in ... yahoo!! No more armchair combat. I just neet to get a fleet of Open B planes, a little practice, and I'm good to go.

I took inventory in the shop of what materials I had left-over from my SSC Gorilla days and I have pleny of fence-post stock so that will be the basis of the build. Here is the question. For those who have built Open B planes with fence-posts or flatbats, what type of airfoils are you flying and dimensions? The more specific you can be the better, i.e. root dimensions (without aileron), root tip dimensions (without aileron), width of aileron stock, and length of wing. Also, what is the length of the fence-post fuselages people are using? Thanks for the help.

Nate
Yankee Samurai

Post by Yankee Samurai »

Tiger Musky,
The first Ontario contest is May the 19th hosted by my good friend Chet Carpenter. We also fly 2610 scale. There will be at least four of us from Southeast Idaho and two from the Ogden Utah area. Where do you live? We fly the standard stuff for Open B, Avengers, Wasps, Chokers and home brews. Hope you can make it, it's a blast.
tiger_musky

Post by tiger_musky »

Yankee Samurai,

I live in Vancouver, WA. I moved here last summer from Southeast, GA and was flying SSC out of Jacksonvile, FL. Now that I found some events in Ontario, OR, I need to get a new fleet of Open B planes ready. It's going to take me a few month to get the fleet up and running, but I've made it a goal to make the September meet.

Nate
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Nate, as long as you intend to do open B in Nitro, as that seems to be the easiest way to go...Trust me... I recommend the flat bat and a flat bottom wing like a clark Y for the root and then I was using a E-203 for the tip. It seemed to give me a better "Push" and outside loops than the all Clark Y wings. I still have all my nitro Open B stuff and have been meaning to clean it up and put it for sale to help fund my current electric addiction, If you are interested I would make you a really good deal on the stuff.
tiger_musky

Post by tiger_musky »

drewjet,

When you get a chance, e-mail me and tell me what you have (tiger_musky@hotmail.com). What were the dimensions on the wings you were using? Thanks.

Nate
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Will do
Yankee Samurai

Post by Yankee Samurai »

Tiger Musky,
Welcome to the NorthWest District. I'm the district Rep, if you need any assistance just give me a holler. Oh the first contest is in Parma about 20 minutes from Ontario. If I don't see you in May I'll look forward to seeing you in September. If you rellly want to cover some area I host a contest in May and August, but that would be four and a half more hours on the road. But you could catch a ride with Chet. Email is shiosaki@if.rmci.net if you wish to chat.