float flying

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

Bruce B

float flying

Post by Bruce B »

with all of the rain and water everywhere i decided to put my avistar trainer on floats. the guys i fly with around here seem to agree that any time you can pick up your plane in one piece it was a good landing.Does this apply when your plane is upside down and floating about 50 yards off shore? If so i have now made two successful water landings,if it isnt true then i have made one[xx(]. what is the procedure for flushing the motor after a dunking?i removed the glow plug and drained the water.sprayed a liberal amount of wd-40 into the glowplug hole and carb,and then reinstalled the glowplug.some fresh fuel and the thing fired right up and seems to run fine.i havent flown it since i dunked it. is there anything else i should do to it?
lightning

Post by lightning »

The only step I would add is to crank the engine over with your starter after spraying in the WD40 before you replace the glow plug.
This gives the WD40 the chance to displace the water.
Then start the engine and run it up to normal operating temperature and there should be no problems.
A liberal dose of after-run oil once you have run it might be a good idea, especially if it's a ball-bearing motor.
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Hey Bruce... I've got a pink hankie in my pit box that "someone" gave me, if you need something to wipe your eyes...[:D] [}:)] WAAAAAA.

Of course if you had come to the "Richardson Rain Fest" last weekend, you'd only have to clean about 5 pounds of MUD out of your engines, like the rest of us.[:p]

Have fun buddy, see ya at N. Tex
boiler

Post by boiler »

Sounds like you aren't using the carburetor filter I've shown other guys. Bury the plane all the way to the leading edge and nothing in the carb.