double sided tape..legal?

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

CMichael

double sided tape..legal?

Post by CMichael »

3.4 Artificial Devices/Substances. There will be no structures, or devices allowed on the model that could aid in
the cutting of an opponent's streamer. Sticky fluids/sprays are permitted. Wing tip skid plates are allowed, but
must not extend forward of the leading edge of the wing tip.

Is double sided tape legal to use.?
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

It is widely used and no one has raised a problem with it. Technically, the adhesive is a liquid.

Ed

Full disclosure: I use double sided tape.
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

Most wings are covered in tape naturally. If you ban putting tape on a wing we will have
some big problems. I use carpet tape from harbor freight on my wings. I believe that rule
was written to keep people from putting blades on there wings. It was probably an issue
of safety and not streamer cutting.
CMichael

Post by CMichael »

I know that most planes are covered with colored tape to reinforce and color the wing..I was just wondering about the double sided tape that everyone uses to aid the snag and tear type of cut..
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

The intent of the rule is to prevent sandpaper, razor blades, hacksaws and some of the other items you see on the AMA combat tee shirt http://modelaircraft.org/shopama/produc ... 01345ACA40 from becoming a safety issue.

Thanks for going back to the intent of the rule, Pete.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Oh, that`s nice. I`m not impressed! Maybe we should talk to the AMA about our "image" We can, and should do a lot better guys. Anyone with me on this?

gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Hey Lee, I RESEMBLE that remark... Have you forgotten from whence you came, big guy? [:D] I'm STILL trying to figure out how to put those razor blades on the leading edge.[;)]

I'm building some more GloCobras!!! After what I saw, I'm retiring the Battle Axe's after next month's contest.[^]
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

That shirt has never made sense to me. A couple guys around here have one and its fine I guess, but to me it seems
a bit cheesy. It definitely reinforces a bad image of combat that scale and pattern guys just love to use to dismiss us.

The back logo reminds me of a tower kaos or uproar being flown by an idiot.

The front pocket logo is not bad.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I seen that shirt a cuple times, usualy the guys that were'em have never tied one on. I agree with you Lee.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Well, anybody got enough artistic talent (don't look to me for any drawing skills, I prefer a camera) to do something great that we can have them use instead?

Ed
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Let`s start a thread, not sure where to put it, and ask our membership for some help.

In fairness, the guy on the shirt is holding a CL combat plane, and reminds me, in some ways, of many guys I flew CL combat with.

If AMA loves the shirt, let them promote CL combat with it.

Let`s come up with something really cool for RC combat.

No Alex, it can`t have Battle Axes chasing Battle Axes on it. [:D]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

http://rccombat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13369 started in the Recognition topic area
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

No Alex, it can`t have Battle Axes chasing Battle Axes on it. [:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

How about one of my A.B.C Assassins chasing a Battle Axe? [}:)], I'll be more realistic.

<font size="1">(just Kidding Alex[;)])</font id="size1">
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

The t-shirt topic has moved ... back to the sticky situation we were discussing[:D]
CMichael

Post by CMichael »

Well,here is the reason I brought up the subject,after what i have to say here,I will probable be looked upon like a turd in a party punch bowl..
Last weekend at the Battle over Malta..Exeter California, this was the first real high count pilot event that I ever been in..Each of those heats was INTENSE!! Those 5 minutes seemed like 30 seconds and 35 minutes at the same time!!

During world war 2 dogfighting combat relied on a pilot to manuver behind the foe,out think him and be able to get behind him in order to "get the shot"..To have 5 kills(cuts) and you became an Ace..but it was one of the most difficult thing a fighter pilot could do..most of the time it would take months if ever to become an ace..
Then during the late 50s and 60s, radar guided missiles were installed on combat planes were all the pilot had to do was aim the missile in the general direction and the radar did the rest to shoot down the foe..the art of air combat was lost because of it.. the pilots relied on missiles too much..

So here comes the turd part..The use of sticky fluids and ribbon that tears at the slightest tug..are we losing the skill of hard fought and won air combat battles..

During Exeter's event the cutting of ribbons ,I feel was more done with the use of the sticky stuff and a ribbon too easy to tear .The actual prop cut were you had to manuver behind your oppenent to "get the shot" was not there very much..

Also there were several rounds were all planes were running around without any ribbons..we just flew around till the time was up

To me a cut should be a very hard thing to do..only the best pilots are able to actually cut your foe's ribbon with his prop..

And with that every cut will be a very memorable event..does anyone remember how many cuts they had in the 3rd round in your last event??..To become an Ace (5 cuts) in an event should have its own plaque reward..

All right so if I was king for a day and could change the rules for one event..no sticky fluids and real forest supply tape..The stuff that takes a spinning prop to cut..

I guess the final word is..A cut should be like a diamond(very rare and hard to come by) in your hand not grains of sand....Mike