NPS for One on One challenges ?

Club combat? Dogfighting with buddies? Let's hear about it!

Moderator: hbartel

Jimbo

NPS for One on One challenges ?

Post by Jimbo »

I'm looking for a way/system for coming up with a One on One National Champ. Anyone have any ideas? These are just SOME of my qestions.
1)Should it be that the challenges must take place at a sanctioned combat event? If not how can we confirm that the challenge ever really happened? I would like it if we could figure out a way we could do this without it having to be a santioned event because very often there is not time or planes left to do it.
2)Should it be that you can only challenge the same person twice? This would help make the champ more lagitimate.
3)Should I use a best of 20 rounds to determine the Nat.Champ.?
4)Should there be a National One on One Champion for every class.(Obviously this is no worry if RCCA guys don't want to give it a try)
If you can think of anymore questions that need to be asked or answered please jump in.

S?C
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I was just thinking how COOL it would be to see some One on One challenges between AJ,Lee and Eric [:p][:0][:D]

S?C
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Sounds like fun to fly Tattoo but I kinda like the part about it being just you and me with no one else to blame[}:)][:(!] There are NO excuses or surprises in one on one.

S?C
montague

Post by montague »

1) I'm not sure there is time at many sanctioned contests for the various challenge matches that would occur if some kind of one-on-one challenge system became popular. But having "witnesses" would be important.

2) The rules for who challenges who, and how the rankings would stack up would take some work. You're already thinking about the problems of someone flying against "easier" opponents. But you also have problems with guys living in a particular area being at more or less an advantage because there are more or less available opponents, or living too near a real hot pilot. So straight win-loss record might not be a good indication. If I beat everyone on the east coast, and have a 50-0 record, how does that stack up vs the texans? You can't really compare it.

I think you're going to need something that ranks pilots and weights victories based on the ranking of who they beat. If you think NCAA football is hard to rank..... After all, it's easy to see a sitaution where several guys get in a "circle" of A defeats B defeats C defeats D defeats A. Add in rematches, and so forth, and you wind up with a mess.

You might take a look at the way the Gremlin guys in the NE have their rules structured. I haven't looked at them myself, but they've been doing one-on-one for a long time. I don't know if they maintain rankings beyond finishes at a particular contest though.

3) The scoring is going to be hard. I don't think a straight top-20 will work well. First, you have to figure out how to score the actual combat. If you use straight RCCA scoring, you're leaving it too much to luck. In one-on-one using RCCA scoring, the winner is going to be the guy who can manage to nibble at his opponets streamer, rather than taking the whole thing in one pass. I might be the best pilot on the planet, but if I always beat my opponents by getting a quick early cut, then staying well away from them the rest of the round, my scores will be "low". In addition, higher scores will come when two pilots of more equal skill "swap" streamers back and forth, while a much better pilot vs a much worse one will have a 260-40 score all the time. So the best pilots won't always have the highest score.

4) try it with 1 or 2 classes for starters. B or SSC would be obvious choices. Your new slow-B wouldn't be bad either.

Kirk Montague Adams
RCCA 560
http://www.MidAtlanticCombat.com - Combat in the Mid-Atlantic Region
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Yea I guess I'll have to try it in our Round Robin at the start of next season to find out how it would work.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !

Return to “Sport Combat Issues”