Houston weekend fun !

Club combat? Dogfighting with buddies? Let's hear about it!

Moderator: hbartel

Jimbo

Houston weekend fun !

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks to all the Houston gang for a great day of club combat fun. I hope we can do it again soon. Anyone have a list of names of all the pilots that flew ? The only names I know are...........
1)Bert
2)Randy
3)Joe
4)Chuck
5)Travis
6)Tony
7)Jimbo(me)
Who were all the other guys?

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Bert Dodson

Post by Bert Dodson »

Jimbo, Thanks for you,Travis and Tony coming over to GCRC to make it a great combat Sunday. We had 14 pilots including Gunslinger Chuck who came from Spring Branch.Two groups were formed and we flew two rounds when someone said let's fly all up and that was the way it went for the rest of the day. The planes were a mix of 15 and 25 power and no problems encountered in fact I don't recall any furballs to speak of.There was a lot of bump and runs and midairs but it will be only minor repairs. The welcome mat is always out for anyone to come fly with us on any Sunday.I would list the pilots names but I am a computer dummy and don't know how to index them so they all run in line and are too hard to read.

Bert Dodson
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

Just want to re-iterate what Jimbo had to say. What a great day of flying combat at the GCRC field in southeast Houston (Pasadena). 12-14 folks for a non-contest fun day of combat is great and we did a ton of flying, just the way we like it...Our newest combat recruit Tony Duprie got em a three cut round his first heat up and I'm not sure you could have smacked the smile off his face after that...Just a great day of good people and good combat. Thanks again to the whole crew there at GCRC. Can't wait to do it again.

gunfighter

Post by gunfighter »

Man, I'll second that! That is the most fun I have had in a LONG time!
No rules, No pressure, No classes. Just tie on a streamer and "fling what you bring"!
We had everything from spads with a worn out Magnum .15 to "limited B" and "Spec B" planes with Norvel and OS .25's (10X3 props) in the air at the same time and it was a BLAST!
On a side note - the limited B and spec B planes were a little faster than the 15 size ships but did not seem to turn quite as sharp, so there was not a clear advantage. there were numerous "love taps" and some pretty violent mid airs but not nearly as much carnage as I normally see at a meet.
I will definately have to go back to GCRC - Thanks Guys for the invite!

Gunfighter
Commander
Alamo squadron
Republic of Texas Combat Air Force
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

If we had gotten the Beaumont and Lafayette guys to come we could have had as many as 20+ pilots for a relaxed day of combat! Cool [8D]

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Bert Dodson

Post by Bert Dodson »

Jimbo, We were short 3 pilots that normally fly with us and you are right many events don't pull in that many flyers.Our Sunday combat sessions average 8-10 people and are a ton of fun because they are such a great bunch of guys and I think that is the reason we keep growing, not at a fast pace but 1 or 2 serious combatters every year, also we have 3 teens that fly and all of us are proud of them.If we ever get 25 pilots maybe we can go an all up round and set some kind of record......HA Pat Willcox is set to retire in Nov. so we will get to see more of him on Sundays.

Bert Dodson
crashhappy

Post by crashhappy »

as a newbie may i just say WOW 14 planes in the air at one time with me in the middle of the mix and getting cuts. like travis said i dont think you could have smacked the smile off my face. thanks for the invite. had a great time. [:D]

Tony Duprie
tashley

Post by tashley »

Sunday was a hoot! It was nice to see some fresh meat to slice up.[:D]

Tom Ashley
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Well, Burt, You must have broken your .15 sized plane early in the day 'cuz Nicholas 'n' I wuz flying .15s all day and just couldn't get anywhere near the .25s with all the extra energy they carried into any turning engagement. My only chance at a cut was to try to time cutting across the field as one of the .25s came screaming across. Too bad my timing stinks, and I found fuselages more often than streamers! :) The 12 plane furballs were much more enjoyable than the 6 plane rounds at the beginning.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I think Bret or Randy cut me every time. Travis got cut by a one aileron, 36" wing, .15 engined plane in a one on one chase [:D]
The SpecB planes are a little faster but that didn't stop people from cutting us.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

Hey Jimbo, thanks for reminding me there dude[;)]Ya, I was actually really surprised at how well the SSC style planes kept up with our SpecB planes. I was concerned about that on the way over but after a couple of heats it didn't seem to be a big problem for them. As Jimbo said they didn't have too many problems finding my streamers either [:D].

Personally I like the smaller rounds but as folks started having issues with their planes it was pretty apparent that all up was the way to go. Either way it was a blast and we appreciate ya'll sharing your field and your day of combat with us...

gunfighter

Post by gunfighter »

Just for the sake of experimentation, I flew 4 different planes / platforms during the day.
1. 50" smack wing on a short flat bat, LA .15 on bladder.
2. 56" smack type wing on flat bat, LA .15 on standard tank,
3. 60" smack type wing on flat bat, Norvel .25, standard tank, MAS 10x3,
4. 64" cobra clone, La .15 on bladder

I only flew the cobra 1 time as it got "smacked" by at least 3 planes and lost 1 aileron and about 6" of the right wing. It would turn tighter and was a little faster than the average plane in this group.

the 15 size flat bats flew very well, and were about the same in speed and turning as the rest of the group. I enjoyed them a lot and they held up well to the constant bashing of Randy and the rest. (I really think they were teaming up on the "out of towners"!)
One hit caused a crack in the fuel tank on that fuse and a busted bladder along with a leak in my "containment sleve" caused me to fill the second fuse with fuel- drenching my radio gear. No more flights for that plane that day.

the "limited B" flat bat was by far, my favorite. The speed was just a little faster than the average 15 size bird but not as fast a Travis' limited B About equal to the Spec B planes. I was a little nose heavy so it was not turning as tight as the 15 planes which seemed to even out the matchup. I am not sure how many times I got hit, but I know that Randy hit me at least 3 times in 1 heat! The only damage caused by mid airs was a prop cut in the right wing - easily repaired with bi-di tape.
After I slammed it into the ground full throttle 4 times! chasing low flying planes, I finally stripped the gears on my $9.00 elevator servo. 5 minutes to change the servo and it was airborne again!

The limited B plane I flew struck me as a slightly fast SSC (about equal to a cobra on bladder) with unlimited vertical. It did not turn as fast as a cobra (but what does?) but would be about equal to most other designs.

I did not get a chance to check RPM's but the 10X3 MAS was maybe just a little slower than the 10X3 APC. My Norvel did not like the APC as well as it did the MAS.

All in all, a fantastic fun day of combat and "Smack Talk"!

Gunfighter
Commander
Alamo squadron
Republic of Texas Combat Air Force

Return to “Sport Combat Issues”