Camship Video Project

Club combat? Dogfighting with buddies? Let's hear about it!

Moderator: hbartel

MLaBoyteaux

Camship Video Project

Post by MLaBoyteaux »

Mike Willcox and I are teaming up to see if we can film rc combat from the air. We were sitting around enjoying ice cold carbonated beverages and thought....."what if we could video combat from the air?". It was a unanimous decision that this was something we had to do.

Version 1 was to build a plane capable of carrying a 14 ounce video camera. We decided to go with a twin engine platform so we could mount the camera up front so it would be in front of the engines and not subjected to exhaust residue. The first test flights involved using a bottle of Shiner Bock which weighed 19 ounces to simulate the camera.

Next, we strapped the DV camera on the nose, with a small spy-camera with a built in transmitter on the tail. Here's the results from the first test flight with cameras on board:
Hi quality 3.5 minute video 14.5 MB
http://www.laboyteaux.com/videos/Camship_01.wmv

Lo quality version 4 MB
http://www.laboyteaux.com/videos/Camship_01_loQ.wmv

It was obvious we needed to be able to control the camera so I've begun working on a 3-axis gimbal system. The twin engine configuration is also not working out, so we're reconfiguring the aircraft to a pusher configuration with an engine donated by Scott Gilkey (THANKS SCOTT!!!!)

Stay tuned......
aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

That is very COOL Mark! That video was great, makes me kind of miss TX though... [|)]

I'll be following the pusher development. If you need some help, my brother did some experimentation with pusher design at K-State. I would be more then happy to try to help out too, or just be someone to bounce ideas off of. I love that kind of stuff. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a little break from changing poopy diapers either...

Good luck.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Mark, that was one sweet video! [:p]

Did Mike or you do all the video conversion? Do you know what codex was used?

I sure love my broadband connection for stuff like this and the new 17" flat panel display! [:D]
MLaBoyteaux

Post by MLaBoyteaux »

Mike took the video back to Houston with him and edited it using Idvd on his Mac. He sent me a DVD of the final edit. The DVD looks great, but since he had the source files, I had to convert the DVD to an MPG file. Then I just used Windows Movie Maker to compress it into the two versions as a .wmv format. Kind of reverse engineering.

Scott Gilkey sent me a SuperTigre .90, but it needs a new rear bearing. I put the bearing housing in the oven at 350 degrees for 8 minutes, but I can't get the old bearing out. Grrrrrrrr.....

I need a bearing puller. I'm going to go get a 3/4" diameter dowel from Home Depot and see if I can get it to wedge out against the bearing by screwing a screw of bolt into the dowel and make it expand agains the bearing housing. Maybe then I can put enough tension on it to get it out.

Helicopters are next.......
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Mark, that was good info, I think that's what I'll have to do with the Monster Nation DVD also. Got the new computer in Monday and have spent the last two days configuring it. It be smokin! [:D]

Sorry I can't help you with the bad bearing![:(]
EK

Post by EK »

If it's a sealed housing, fill the bearing hole with grease then take a punch or shaft that is just smaller than the bearing and hit it with a hammer. Usually the bearing will be pushed out by the grease.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Looks great mark. I did something similar with the wireless video cam, but the signal was always breaking up.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Totally awesome.

A 3 axis, radio controlled 3 axis gimbal setup will allow this plane/camera to rival some of the armed services spy planes.

Can't wait[;)]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Mark, hit the bearing housing with a propane torch, usually they will fall out, some persuading with a dowel from the front side might help. 350 in a toaster oven often will not get the housing to expand enough, especially if the bearing has some corrosion or fuel goo on it and is stuck in the housing.
S3HD

Post by S3HD »

Mark,
If you haven't purchased a new bearing yet, I suggest you give Boca Bearings a call or email. They have a huge selection of bearings, and have supported combat contests with sponsorship in the past.http://www.bocabearings.com/
You can quickly find the bearing you need with their online catalogue.
~John
MLaBoyteaux

Post by MLaBoyteaux »

Yeah, Boca had the bearings and they got here in 2 days. I'm gonna try the torch method this evening and see if it works. Scott Gilkey was kind enough to send me not one, BUT TWO MOTORS! He also sent an ASP 1.08 engine that's in good condition. Hey, MORE HORSEPOWER!!!!! I think I may try running it first and see how it goes.

Scott is the man! I was hoping to just find something used I could buy at a reasonable price, then he sends me TWO motors on the house. The least I can do is tune up whichever one I don't use and send it back ready to fly.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Mark, did you get the bearing out of that ST yet? I found a couple of threads on RCGroups about converting engines to reverse rotation, basically all you do is rotate the front housing 90 degrees CCW, i.e. so the carb is on the same side as the exhaust. links:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... ion+engine

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... ion+engine

The carb on the ASP had a broken neck, so the one with the engine is a replacement. I have used it and it worked well. It fits the ST too. If you have any running problems let me know.
MLaBoyteaux

Post by MLaBoyteaux »

Yep, the propane torch did the trick. Using the ASP 1.08 with a 15X6 prop is going to have ground clearance issues. If I use the SuperTigre .90 with a 14X6 it would be better. So, the SuperTigre it is! The local hobby shop happened to have some 15X6 pusher props in stock so I had already bought a couple. I cut one of them down to a 14X6, since they're pushers I went ahead and set the ST 90 up for normal rotation. I plan on getting everthing assembled on Sunday and running the engine to see how well it runs.
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Mark and Velcro, AWESOME Project you guy's have going on! Looking forward to MORE vidieo!! Very COOL![:)][8D]
redfred1

Post by redfred1 »

Wow - that video is great! Looks like a fun project - can't wait for the next video...

FredD

Return to “Sport Combat Issues”