Wishing the Texas guys good luck this weekend

This is where we discuss pilot recognition. What do you do to recognize Sierra Hotel pilots? Tell us your ideas!

Moderator: hbartel

NAES

Wishing the Texas guys good luck this weekend

Post by NAES »

As all of you know, Rita is on the way. After reading about the potential impact I just wish all of you who will/may/have been affected by the hurricane(s) all the best.

If there's anything to learn from Katrina, the number one would be to make sure your family is together, no matter what moves you decide to make.

Godspeed to you all. Sean Galt, aka NAES
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Yep Sean, things look pretty bad for the coastal areas. Last report is that Rita has weakened to a Cat 4 at 150mph. My prayer is that the main impact will be in the most sparsly populated areas. A direct hit on Galveston/Houston or just West of there would be just as bad as what happened in New Orleans. Here in the Dallas area we`ll be seeing the worst on Sat PM, the worst of which will be flooding in low areas from heavy rain and tornados.
THend

Post by THend »

Yeah, now is a good time to pack up and get to Vegas for the contest next weekend![:D]
thojo

Post by thojo »

looks like it might veer east of Houston, but thats not good news for Beaumont and the guys in Sulfur. boarding up my house in pearland today. will be heading to folks house in southwest houston, traffic is just too bad to evacuate...
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

All you guy's be very carefull! Ole Ben and family will be thinking of you ALL, that's for SURE!

I was just watching the weather channel and the C-130's that fly into these things drop some sort of device into the eye and got readings of up to 235 mph winds!!! Some sort of ball or something that takes readings for them........ They even say there's already no gas for the folks that do want to leave! Also cars running out of gas that are on the interstate because of no gas! PLEASE be careful, and our thoughts and prayers will be with you ALL!!![:(]
NAES

Post by NAES »

Ben, if I remember correctly they put a bunch of balls in the eye so it gives sort of a 3D image of the whole thing. They plot that info into some GPS or other modelling and you get a picture.

Scary as Hell no matter how you look at it. I'm assuming it's the same basic procedures as a tornado, go underground, except for the water part, I don't know how you would deal with that.

Again, best of luck to all of you and please be safe.

NAES
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Sean,

That remindes me of a movie I've seen, but don't remember the name. BUT YES!!! Very Scary! And Sean, were not even down there! Just think how those folks feel? I'm watching the Surfers "Right Now" in TEXAS!!![:0] I have nothing against Surfers, but I hope he'll ride again after this is all over and done. God Speed for all the folks this may hit. Cause I'm looking forward soon to do battle again with some TX, LA. friends! Just everyone DO YOUR BEST!!! Good luck to you ALL!!! We'll all be thinking and Praying for ALL you Guy's and your Family!!
boiler

Post by boiler »

Got hold of some information today on my brother-in-law and his family. They live in Houston and plan to ride it out.
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Bob,
I hope everything goes ok! It's hard to get out anyway with the trafic and no gas. We will be thinking of your family for sure!!!!
THend

Post by THend »

Why in the world can they not make all major roads "Outbound"? All those folks stuck on the northbound side, while the other 4 lanes are basically empty. I'd lock down the freeway and make the whole damn thing run "out of town" so to speak.

I hope all of you the best. If you make to California, come by for a visit!
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

Howdy guys from hurricane land ;-) well the fam, I and lil' C and his fam teamed up with the neighbors and frieght trained it to Eunice, LA where we plan to ride it out...Not as far east or north as some but I think we'll be okay....Now what we'll have to go back to is anyones guess but I appreciate ya'll thoughts and prayers....It took us nearly 7 hours yesterday to get here which under normal conditions is a hour drive tops :-( Still no where near as bad as what some folks have been dealing with for sure....I think Jimbo may have given up on trying to leave and maybe riding it out at home in Sulphur but don't know that for sure..

Hopefully Ms. Rita will continue to lose some of her punch as she has during the day today and whoever gets the dubius distinction of landfall point won't have quite as much to deal with...

Thanks again guys.....
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Good luck to all. We're thinking of you. If it looks bad, start driving to Wisconsin. It's not snowing yet!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

My family's thoughts and prayers are with you guys. When you get safely through the storm, please let us know you are OK.

Terry, yesterday they reconfigured almost all of the highways out of the area to be all one way. Still very slow, even with effectively doubling the capacity.

One of the cool things I heard was for special needs patients they were driving the bus right onto C-130s and flying them to airports near medical centers ready to take them, bypassing all of the traffic.

Be safe!
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

Hey again everyone....

Lil' C was able to stop at my house yesterday on his way to Houston and check things out and take some video and while we sustained some damage none was structural to the house and most should be easily repairable with some time and some insurance money [;)] Still no word from Jimbo on his status but I do know that local authorities and FEMA have essentially locked down both Calcasieu and Cameron parishes and have said not to plan to return anytime soon....So the fam and I relocated ourselves today to Lil C's pad in Houston and will basically wait here until we're told we can go home....While I certainly sympathised with the folks from New Orleans before now I really know what it feels like to be unable to go home [:(] But we have a nice home and family to wait it out with and we have our health and for the most part a home to eventually go home to so I think ya'lls thoughts and prayers worked so I thank you again for all that you offered up to the big man upstairs......Maybe next year in commemeration of Rita we'll hold a combat contest in the Swamp [:D] Ya'll take care and thank each and every one of you!!!
Web-Pilot

Post by Web-Pilot »

Travis,

I am very happy to hear that you and family are safe and sound! Hope to hear from Jimbo too that all is well!

Take care and know that we all care and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

George