This guy needs an honorary RCCA membership

This is where we discuss pilot recognition. What do you do to recognize Sierra Hotel pilots? Tell us your ideas!

Moderator: hbartel

ptsullivan

This guy needs an honorary RCCA membership

Post by ptsullivan »

This is an amazing video. I hope it is not a fake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCbkBfdBrQ

all I can say is wow.

-Pete
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

looks fake, but i might be wrong
Fred420

Post by Fred420 »

That is real. It was shown on the NBC nightly news before Utube did it. While on an edge the wing provides no lift.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I'm skeptical, Fred, so if you can find and post the link from NBC I'd appreciate it. I looked and couldn't find it.

Two things make it look fake: the wing root area and the fact that it didn't go SPLAT when it hit the ground.

If it is real, he gets the membership, the girl, and a clean flight suit[:D]
THend

Post by THend »

You KNOW the suit needed cleaning....

Can't we just contact the the guy? The plane has advertising on it.
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

Yep, FAKE!!
RH

Post by RH »

The "experts" are saying this is a purpose built rc plane with the edit to full scale at the big touch down bounce. Too much speed scrubs off during the bounce...
jj

Post by jj »

Well, not too many full size planes have carbon fiber plug in tubes for their wings. Other than that and a few nicely timed out of focus sections they did a great job
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I checked on snopes and some other sources. I dont see a CF wing tube sockets. The holes on the video would be typical wing rib holes on a aerobatic plane. There is an interview with the pilot James Anderson who recounts the event as if it was true. It could be staged? The current theory is that it is a publicity stunt for the sponsor. There are some debunkers that talk about a change in helmet color in the video but it seems like there is glare that can account for that. It may be a hoax but if Kirby Chambliss can 3D in an Edge 540. Why cant a pilot land Knife Edge like Bill Hemmple did with an RC Extra 260?
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Go to the top of the page and click on it again, there is another video now added showing how it is fake------rick
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I checked it out but all it does is compare photos of the plane in the air and on the ground. There are no differences other than focus and glare. Here is the video interview http://www.jamesandersson.com/video01.html. Dont get me wrong I am saying it is real but I have not found the smoking gun that determines that is not. Most peoples gut feeling is that it is not possible but like I said above Full scale pilots are performing 3D manuvers only thought possible with RC aircraft, so th oppisite can be true of James Andersson landing a plane with one wing just as this video of Bill Hemmple's RC Extra 260. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXMrFh3n7M
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

More than focus & glare! Check the cheek length (distance from wing to spinner)Placement of several other articles also different----its fake all the way; I believe, but I've been wrong before.----rick
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

I'm with you Rick, it's two completely different planes. Cute but just another step up from photoshopping someones head on anothers body!
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Another point to think about in the real world----how many planes could loose a wing and not instantaneously go into a downward flat spin? Another thing---how can a wing come off cleanly with no sign of wiring or control linkages being ripped loose?
cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

yes- its definately a fake. but that doesnt mean it cant be done. anyone whos seen the good 3D pilots fly knows these guys can do some amazing things with a plane. i dont know if a full-size bird has the power and control surface throws that a wrung-out RC airplane does, but for sure, its possible for RC (as Craig's link proves).