Photos of MIA Combat pilots

This is where we discuss pilot recognition. What do you do to recognize Sierra Hotel pilots? Tell us your ideas!

Moderator: hbartel

Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Still working on this but got sidetracked.

Got a few brain cells back from life support and I think that #43 nickname was "Jimbo". Does that ring any bells with anyone? Back before Kelvin stopped having the Paris event, GSW in Ft. Worth hosted an event with a $1000 prize money for top 3 and I think Jimbo was at that event. I know "Cajun" knows him. I think those two used to fight back and forth on the forum and soapbox.
THend

Post by THend »

I was the one that worked with Jimbo over the phone etc..to get Open C on the books..

That was a bunch of work and from what I know, never a sanctioned event on the books...
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

RCCA 505 Bienvenu, Jimbo???
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Yeah, Terry, there were at least a few. I remember in 2003 we flew Open C at a big meet in Ft Worth. Most guys were running their B ships, and some mounted OS 32`s on them. It was faster, louder and more destructive than Open B.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

35 is Rick Smith
boiler

Post by boiler »

The first meet in Bryan ,OH was a C event. we converted them by kicking their slow over weight a$$es with our B ships.[;)]
Which_way_is_up

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hat Trick</i>
<br />35 is Rick Smith
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks Mike. . . .Below is the full picture of Rick. His and the other photos that I've included below are from my archive backups of the RCCA web site back when I was Webmaster. I don't know if they're still around on this site or not. A lot of the RCCA membership history has gotten lost over the years but I've archived what I could.

Another thing that you see looking at the old photos is that scale ruled back in the day and a lot of beautiful scale planes were built. Sometimes progress is not really progress.

These are just some of the photos from the archives.

This is Rick Smith and his P-39

Cash will love this one!

Anyone besides Rick Farley and Mike Fredricks that remember this?

A much younger Mike Fredricks. Anyone remember what 2610 was? [:)]

Back in the day when we still had kit manufacturers. Talk about a twin engine nightmare.

The only person I remember flying Raptors in Open B was Jimbo and his Jett engines.

This photo is special to me. Not because you can see the guys but the names. Jack Zimmanck and Warren Howell promoted R/C Combat for many years from the North Dallas R/C Club field. They produced a "short kit" version of the "Guttersnip" called the "Exorcist". Jack and Warren working together hand cut the wings with a bow. Selling only about 6 kits a year for a long time before combat started to really catch on in North Dallas. I bought one of Jack and Warren's kits and that's how I got into combat back in the late 90's. Like this event if 6 people showed up to an event you had a big turnout. Unfortunately Warren died in his 50's a few years ago.

This is a photo of Jack Zimmanck and his Exorcist that I took back in Nov. of 1998.

A second generation Exorcist started showing up in 2000 and with the addition of the "tuned muffler" Open B would never be the same. This is John McIntosh's(RIP) color scheme. One year he went through 15 of these to take 1st place in the North Texas Round Robin Series.

Well that's it for now, back to figuring out faces! [:D]
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Which_way_is_up</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hat Trick</i>
<br />35 is Rick Smith

Yep, I remember what 2610 was and I remember Jack Lewis winning 2105. I'm behind the plaque and pole... [;)]
Which_way_is_up

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cshepherd</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Which_way_is_up</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hat Trick</i>
<br />35 is Rick Smith

Yep, I remember what 2610 was and I remember Jack Lewis winning 2105. I'm behind the plaque and pole... [;)]

Now Chris for the bonus points do you happen to remember what year that was? [:)]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I have one of John's Lethal Weapons (the one in Texas colors) hanging up in my shop as sort of a memorial. I also have one of the DO-335 kits that will end up as an electric warbird, and won't be combat flown. Very nice warbirds, some real works of art.

Ed
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

It's neat to see what you're doing Roy, good to capture some of the history of the group...Yeah those pics of Jared, Jimbo(Jim)Bienvenu and I were all taken at Paris '04 which was all of our last Paris event...

The Raptor was the creation of a gentleman named John (sorry can't remember the last name) in Houston. The originals were terribly fragile but quick and agile. Jimbo, LT King and Bert Dodson from Houston were instrumental in making advancements in the design to make them a lot tougher...I even threw in a idea here and there.

When I first met Jimbo and he really got me hooked on combat he was flying Gremlin's primarily in our NSCC contests with Cajun and Grun's crews from East Texas...He then switched to the Raptor and as far as I know still has them. He and I have lost touch somewhat since I moved away from SW Louisiana in 2006 but I know he flew in Houston at Pat's last ocntest with his Raptors and placed 2nd or 3rd....

I haven't flown any kind of combat since the weekend before Hurricane Katrina in 2005...Not long after that of course Hurrican Rita hit our area and tore the LARKS facility apart along with a lot of folks homes and lives...

I think Jared may have flown combat a time or two after Paris of '04 but that was pretty much it for him as well.

We flew a lot of Open C initially but soon realized that we could get the same performance on a properly built Open B machine....After a number of contests and a lot of flying and testing we started to realize that we liked the B machines but needed to slow things back down which is why Jimbo, Scott and I worked hard on the Limited B class and rules and it's cool to see that folks are still giving it a go these days...Jimbo and I did the last of our flying together with a Spec B type of 48" flat bat with standard 25's for power and probably had the most fun we ever did because we were just focused on having a great time together flying combat. So for us we kind of came full circle.

I don't get on the site much anymore and don't really fly rc now with three extremely active kids and a busy career and huge home improvement project list but without question I count my time flying combat with those that are still here and those that have moved on like me as unquestionably the best time I ever spent in the RC hobby...Events like that Fort Worth event or Paris of '03 provided me with memories I'll cherish as long as I'm around...

Thanks again Roy for taking your time to archive some of this history!!

BC
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

Roy, I'll take a guess at the year 2000.
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

Ok, I've got a bunch of photos as well... What Year is this from?

Image Greg Rose

Image Sam Weiss

Image Jeff and Sam Weiss

Image One's I can recognize.. Jerry Virnig, Scott Bilinski, Don Veres II and Bob Wallace with the cup to his mouth.

Image Scott Anderson and Mike Fredricks

I've got more. Will post them later, time to get my B-Day dinner....
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

Slight Delay... more pics

The big guy in the white shirt with the sunglasses handing out the awards is Scott "Pappy" Anderson

Image Jeff Weiss

Image Jim Bodnar

Image Terry Harner

Image Scott Bilinski

Image Jim Bodnar again

Image Rick Fraley

Image Chris Handegard

ImageIs this a Gilkey?

Image Rick Bolhmann

Image Daniel Vaught and Greg Rose

Image Mike Fredricks and Rick Fraley
THend

Post by THend »

2001 because I see Scott Bilinski and myself getting our 6th place awards.. his in scale, mine in Open B.

Those clouds and the near tornado touchdown.. yikes!

Then there was GrassHoppers amazing fly away after the mid-air with Kraut right in front of everyone...