Photos of MIA Combat pilots

This is where we discuss pilot recognition. What do you do to recognize Sierra Hotel pilots? Tell us your ideas!

Moderator: hbartel

cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

I'll go back and label the pics as I know who just about everyone is.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Actually that WAS (IS) Brian in some of the earlier photos, including him getting his first "wood" at Nats.

One of those photos actually shows my Hergett Mustang with streamers on the wing. Don't know how THAT happened, that was an UNUSUAL occurrence with that version of my fleet- overarmored, heavy WAY too fast, turned like bricks. Now i have good-flying planes and still can't get cuts, hmmmmmm

These photos bring back such awesome memories. The weather of 2001 Nats was an unforgettable experience but not as much as the great people who were there.

Ben and Addison and the Lil Bulls- WOW. I remember seeing them in the pits and thinking "what the heck are THEY thinking..." then they launched and my mouth dropped open.... I say again WOW WOW WOW

Harner and Bilinski, what a HOOT.

I can't remember the name of the guy who flew with a hockey helmet. Canuck, obviously! The other one in the several photos is Victor "THunder" Cherneski, occasionally seen with his wife Spike in a photo or two. He was a great builder, flyer, competitor, and all-around super person.

Love to see Andy mugging for the camera, trying to be seen around Lorena.

Geez-us, Bat Tricks with Norvels. LOVE to see that old-tech!!!
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

I think the Canuck is Gerry Van Dyke?
THend

Post by THend »

In '01 because I was flying Open B only, I offered to help run the line for 2610 Scale.

On the day of the near tornado touchdown, I had been looking at the skies quite a bit... wondering..

I go over to the two tornado experts, Kraut and Tattoo and ask them what they think.. their reply "aw.. that's nothin".."don't worry about it"...

No kidding, three minutes later with the sky full of 2610 Warbirds, we get hit with big winds and some rain.. I am on the horn yelling " land your planes, end combat... every man for himself.." I can't honestly remmember the exact language, but it wasn't good to be in the air.

I run over to our gear and Scott and I are throwing all the planes into my big coroplast shipping box. There were EZ-ups launching themselves into the air... howling wind...

Then behind us it looked like a tornado was going to touch down.. I was yelling at Scott to get into the truck.. He was like "I want to see this"... I told him he could "see this" from the truck as we are heading the other way.

I was honestly not feeling good about the situation.. in the middle of a square mile with no cover...hmmmm..

I remember we had some serious peanut tossing going on at the one restaurant too... then there were peanuts with little streamers on them as well..

The one day, Brian Gilkey was busting my chops because he was beating me too.... I was like, who does this little grommet belong to.. Cocky little sucker.... at least I can say I beat him once...LOL[:o)]

Too many stories..not enough time.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

I am enjoying the older picts and the stories, keep it up!
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Yeah, Gerry Van Dyke, that's his name!
THend

Post by THend »

Didn't Gerry get the award for most miles driven? Didn't he fly the twin boom Vulcans in scale?
The Snake

Re: Photos of MIA Combat pilots

Post by The Snake »

Who was the snake? I don't even know!
Victor (the Snake) Shamulus
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/Victor-Shamulus/CIMG2133.jpg[/img]

RCCA # WAS 503 AMA # WAS 480994
The End

Post by The End »

Victor Shamulus was "The Snake", Victor, so many people are curious to how you are doing?
The Snake

Post by The Snake »

The End wrote:Victor Shamulus was "The Snake", Victor, so many people are curious to how you are doing?

I am up in the LA area now. I don't know any fields to fly up here, never even knew where to look. I am very far from Fallbrook area now.

Most of the RC gear is gone, sold and given a way. Don't even have an electric plane flying. I did fly some at the beach with my wing. My son Derek has the P-40 and my radio. But no AMA, no RCCA now.

Remarried now, with a 22 month old Daughter that given terror a new name.

Can't fly unless I renew my AMA.
Victor (the Snake) Shamulus
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/Victor-Shamulus/CIMG2133.jpg[/img]

RCCA # WAS 503 AMA # WAS 480994