AMA Combat T-Shirt

This is where we discuss pilot recognition. What do you do to recognize Sierra Hotel pilots? Tell us your ideas!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

AMA Combat T-Shirt

Post by Ed Kettler »

This shirt has been deemed unworthy by members of the RC Combat community and member assistance is sought to help design a new shirt
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

The shirt is for CL combat I believe.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hat Trick</i>
<br />The shirt is for CL combat I believe.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yes Mike, I think you're absolutely right but the rest of the world that's not that smart may not realize it. [;)]

Unfortunately "Mad Magazine style caricatures" are not necessarily popular these days. [:0]

Besides the guy looks a little too redneck to suit me. [;)]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Some of the message traffic that generated this thread:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />The intent of the rule is to prevent sandpaper, razor blades, hacksaws and some of the other items you see on the AMA combat tee shirt http://modelaircraft.org/shopama/produc ... 01345ACA40 from becoming a safety issue.

Thanks for going back to the intent of the rule, Pete.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />Oh, that`s nice. I`m not impressed! Maybe we should talk to the AMA about our "image" We can, and should do a lot better guys. Anyone with me on this?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gsjames</i>
<br />Hey Lee, I RESEMBLE that remark... Have you forgotten from whence you came, big guy? [:D] I'm STILL trying to figure out how to put those razor blades on the leading edge.[;)]

I'm building some more GloCobras!!! After what I saw, I'm retiring the Battle Axe's after next month's contest.[^]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ptsullivan</i>
<br />That shirt has never made sense to me. A couple guys around here have one and its fine I guess, but to me it seems
a bit cheesy. It definitely reinforces a bad image of combat that scale and pattern guys just love to use to dismiss us.

The back logo reminds me of a tower kaos or uproar being flown by an idiot.

The front pocket logo is not bad.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by o1moregil</i>
<br />I seen that shirt a cuple times, usualy the guys that were'em have never tied one on. I agree with you Lee.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />Well, anybody got enough artistic talent (don't look to me for any drawing skills, I prefer a camera) to do something great that we can have them use instead?

Ed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />Let`s start a thread, not sure where to put it, and ask our membership for some help.

In fairness, the guy on the shirt is holding a CL combat plane, and reminds me, in some ways, of many guys I flew CL combat with.

If AMA loves the shirt, let them promote CL combat with it.

Let`s come up with something really cool for RC combat.

No Alex, it can`t have Battle Axes chasing Battle Axes on it. [:D]
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

I kindive makes me wonder, does the AMA even ask us about anything first, to get our imput?

you would think that would be a good thing since we are the SIG
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

My guess is that this shirt was designed a long time ago, probably before RC Combat was even in the AMA rulebook.

Even as an old CL combat flier. I think that the shirt is ridiculous at best and borders on being down right offensive.

If the CL guys like it, fine, let them wear it, but it would be nice if it said CL Combat on it rather than just combat.

For RC combat, I`m sure that we can do much better.

If you have some artistic ability, or know someone who does, help us out. The RC Combat community deserves better IMHO.
Fred420

Post by Fred420 »

I know ..... I'm ODD .... I Like the shirt. [8D] I also find that people that see it , laugh and smile about it. I guess I am not as hung up on image, as are the Pattern and 3D flyers, I am secure in my manhood [:p][:0]
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Most guys that don't fly combat don't understand the whole concept. The t-shirt just reinforces their misconception of what combat is. Does that bother me? Probably not. I don't mind them thinking I am a mindless nut wrecking planes for fun. It helps to separate the weak from the rest of the herd.[:D]

I got my son & I one of the t-shirts at the AMA convention last year. I would have been happier with an RCCA t-shirt and look forward to a redesign. I think a nice furball on the back and an RCCA logo on the front would be awesome.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I've got one too. It's the only choice in the AMA shop that has anything at all to do with combat. I agree another choice would be great! For that matter the AMA shop could have RCCA hats etc. I'll bet the AMA shop has never been approached on the subject and would be happy to sell us whatever we want!
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Hi All,

I do not think anyone who has been to an R/C Combat Match has to be convinced how much FUN it is.[8D]

The T-Shirt/Logo design should project our fun to those who have never even considered flying R/C Combat.

And be 'Equal/Better Than' any other form of flying model airplanes.

Because I like Scale Combat, I have regrettably pissed off scale modelers(they don't fly!) and 'Aerobatic' pilots because they cannot do the 'unknown manouvers' of R/C Combat. (I tell them I prefer a Hockey Game to doing Figure Skating ![:p])

I know I have been wrong to promote our SIG locally here. And will eventually learn to be polite with my local fellow modelers/club members.

I do not like their attitude that R/C Combat is less worthy than the fun they think they are having.

I somehow think they must have some 'pre-conceived' notion that Combat Pilots are unsafe/crazy/unworthy.

I'm sure a good/respectful T-Shirt design will convince them.
(That way I won't have to talk to them ![:D])

Take care,
Have fun'
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> and 'Aerobatic' pilots because they cannot do the 'unknown maneuvers' of R/C Combat. (I tell them I prefer a Hockey Game to doing Figure Skating ![:p])<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

"Pattern and IMAC fliers are a lot like male ballet dancers, what they do takes a lot of skill and practice, but still, you are never really quite sure about them."

Combat RULES, IMAC drools
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

I always thought aerobatics was like figure skating, while combat was the NHL.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ptsullivan</i>
<br />I always thought aerobatics was like figure skating, while combat was the NHL.

busted teeth and everything!
Papabear1

Post by Papabear1 »

I'll take a crack at a new T-shirt. Might just put some of that fine arts training to work. I have an idea that I think everyone will like and will be a more fitting representation of the RC combat community. It might take me a bit of time, but I'll get something up in a few weeks to see what you think.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

That sounds very cool. I look forward to buying one when its all approved and done!