Dave Wagensomer R.I.P.

This is where we discuss pilot recognition. What do you do to recognize Sierra Hotel pilots? Tell us your ideas!

Moderator: hbartel

boiler

Dave Wagensomer R.I.P.

Post by boiler »

I received this information from Mark K McCool in an email after hearing of it from Don Veres.

Dave Wagensomer was the first president of ASDA which was transformed into RCCA (which continued with him as President). Dave went to Muncie & met with the AMA Board of Directors & Officers (when Dave Brown was AMA President) to attain SIG status for us as RCCA (I filed all the paperwork for him & wrote the original by-laws). Dave Wagensomer, my best friend, died unexpectedly in his home in Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan of a massive heart attack at age 49. His was an avid hunter, fisherman, and the only scale combat pilot I ever met who could stay with me in a rolling scissors at ground level for an entire round. Wags (as he was known) always enjoyed a good joke, was a gifted man who never took himself too seriously, and shared his gifts generously with all he came to know. In great measure, RCCA owes its existence to his selfless leadership. He served the hobby as officer, then President of his local flying club before that and founded Wetzel field where they fly to this day.

Even with all this, Dave was a loving husband, great father, athletic coach, and successful entrepreneur. Dave’s lifelong marriage to his wife Liza brought his daughter Sara and son Evan into this world and to adulthood. We join together to express our love for Dave and our sorrow for this loss. We shall miss him deeply.

Here is a copy of the obituary:
"WAGENSOMER
DAVID EDWARD 48 of Grosse Pointe Woods, passed away suddenly Tuesday, March 8, 2011. A 1981 graduate of Bishop Gallagher High School, he owned the Edwin Paul Spa in Grosse Pointe Woods and David Edward Inc. construction company. Mr. Wagensomer is survived by his loing wife, Elizabeth; adoring children, Sarah and Evan; mother, Barbara; sisters, Kathryn (Terry) Cosgrove and Janice (Rich) Gillies; brothers, Greg (Maggie) and Paul (Lisa) and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his father, Edward. Mr. Wagensomer will be greatly missed by his family, friends and neighbors. A memorial service will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday, March 13, at St. Peter the Apostle Church, 19801 Vernier, Harper Woods. Visitation begins at 3p.m. Donations may be made to the Wagensomer Family Memorial Fund and mailed to either the Christian Financial Credit Union, 19770 Harper, Harper Woods, MI 48225 or Edwin Paul Spa, 21023 Mack, Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236."

(WAGENSOMER on Page 10A of Friday, March 11, 2011 issue of The Detroit Free Press)

If you have any questions, you can reach me at the contact points below. If you wish further verification of any historical points, Don Veres III was the first Secretary Treasurer of ASDA/RCCA and served along with us as a co-founder. Scott Gilkey knows Don.

Thanks in advance.

Mark K McCool

email: conscrip@wi.rr.com

cell: 414 852-6672
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
gsjames

Re: Dave Wagensomer R.I.P.

Post by gsjames »

RIP Dave, and thanks for helping to create the RCCA. Your work made a lot of people smile.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
RCCA #908
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/garyjames/Trample_the_Weak.jpeg[/img]
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

With bowed head and a silent prayer. . . . . .
"Tail end Charlie"
Criticize by contributing

Roy Appleton
RCCA# Ex-541
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Along with Don Veres, Dave Wagensomer helped get me into combat. This was when the only thing being flown around here was scale. I was struggling with a Zigg's Spitfire with a .15 engine, which was really hard for me to hand launch. Dave convinced me to try the larger Dauntless and it was a remarkable transformation for me- it flew great, easy to launch, etc. It was perfect advice. Dave was always helpful but the things i remember most were his sense of humor, his big smile, and his laugh. He knew how to have fun at combat and especially loved going "mano a mano!" I remember many of his posts, no matter what the subject, serious or funny, usually seemed to end with "...and always remember to K.M.A.!!!" He was a lot of fun and did a lot to get Combat off the ground and established as a SIG. He was an energetic and vigorous man and it's shocking that he could be felled at such a young age by a heart attack. What a shame.
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Dave was always a lot of fun and a great guy to be around!
Mike Fredricks
RCCA# 109
Home of Hattrick Enterprises
www.hattrickrc.com