Raid on Bougainville Oct 22nd

tell everyone the results of your combat related event!

Moderator: hbartel

NAES

Raid on Bougainville Oct 22nd

Post by NAES »

I'll let the master pensmiths give you the great debrief. Here's some pics that I took of the event. Really overcast the whole day with a ceiling of around 1000'. That made depth perception and orientation a little tougher than usual. Many midairs occured along with some unique phenomena as well.

Points totals for the event. The top 3 spots were taken by AREA-52 Makos!!!!

Butch and Terry being the last 2 in the air for about 3 minutes. Nice Mako on Mako action
NAES

Post by NAES »

My favorite pic that I took. The Mako flew right through the other one and kept on going. Absolutely amazing!

This one's a close second though. Lawn dart from 200' just before impact!

and the wing of one

and the wing of the other

Butch and I tagged center section to center section sending us into a hooked together flatspin from about 150' up. Both planes only received minor damage
NAES

Post by NAES »

My infamous LMC Mako got toasted. I was pulling about 20' of streamer and looking to bait someone so I came in right to left about 4 feet off the ground and then <font color="red"><font size="4">POW!</font id="size4"></font id="red">
I ended up nailing a fencepost that is used to hold the pylons up for pylon racing. The wingtips folded forward smacking each other and the post now has about a 35 degree bend in it. Definitely my favorite crash ever and I did it all by myself. Lemme tell ya, the crowd loves a good crash!!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Wow, that's gotta hurt!

Looks like those Makos are tough in the air and on the ground. Congratulations to Pete, Terry and Sean for coming out on top of what looks like a very tough competitive field! Well done everybody!

What's the rest of the year look like out in SoCal?

All the best!
Ed
THend

Post by THend »

Sean thanks for the pic. Here is the rundown..

Pete Sullivan 1356 AREA-52 Mako
Terry Harner 1220 AREA-52 Mako
Sean Galt 1180 AREA-52 Mako
Mike Sugamele 1125 Cobra
David Drowns 1094 Coroplast Mig (dang nice too)
John Stewart 880 Team Seaholm Avenger
Trent Stewart 876 Team Seaholm Avenger
Bob Peterson 740 Coroplast SPAD (call sign Carpet Man!)
Butch Abongen 649 AREA-52 Mako
Pete Goulding 593 Coroplast SPAD
Frank Schultz 300 SPAD foam hybrid

I'd like to start off by thanking Jim and Janet Cole for carrying the combat ball for so many years now. They have run every contest for 3 years now at Palomar despite rain, heat, wind, or even perfect conditions. They make a great team, and run fun events! So, thank you both for all the hard work, we really do appreciate it![:D]

The conditions were comfortable to cool, with very low wind. The sky however was overcast and made it difficult to track orientation. I know for me, several times I had to go into Jedi mode and figure out my orientation. As a judge, it was tough too as the streamers would fade into and out of view, and the sky was challenging to stare at all day. But, it is October out here so we have grown accustomed to dealing with 65-70 degree temps, low wind, and a cloudy sky...one must pay the high price to fly combat in SoCal.[:p]

The big thing was that the contest was fun! SoCal has long been a hotbed of competitive Open B. Sure, the RCCA membership numbers have gone up and down, along with participation, but Open B reigns supreme out here.

On this fine day, we had 11 pilots willing to battle it out in the sky. I'd like to comment that we certainly missed the Arizona Crew, the Livermore Hooligans, James Schell, the rest of the Sugamele Gang, and the Vegas Crew.

More to follow...
th
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

The Makos did it again! Congratulations to the Area 52 Team

Gilbert
Oehrle

Post by Oehrle »

Nice pictures and congratulatins to the winners.

December is only a Month away, Hope to see you
then

Gary
The Snake

Post by The Snake »

Sorry i missed it. I just on back. Good event!!