Southern California, Pearl Harbor Classic

tell everyone the results of your combat related event!

Moderator: hbartel

boiler

Post by boiler »

Just got home and unloaded the van. Great video. I would like to thank the Pear Harbor hosts and all the pilots that came out to have fun. The field was great, the food was fantastic, and the pilots were awesome. The wife just got back from lunch. I have to take care of her now.[;)]
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dbronst3790</i>
<br />Pearl Harbor Classic 2009 video is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tool3nuSJjA

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Great piece of video and great editing! [:)]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Great video!
boiler

Post by boiler »

I enjoyed meeting so many great people that I had not flown with before. I got a good look at the awesome area 52 production line. I hope to fly with them again. Maybe at the NATS. Maybe I could get a carpool for another trip out there. For all the people that haven't been to the site-- look at the bushes at the back of the flying area in the video. They are really 70 ft tall trees. The ground drops at about a 70 degree angle and is heavy brush under the trees. Of course if you keep it in close, you won't have to go out there.[;)] I took a few pictures that I haven't had a chance to look at yet. I had a school board meeting that I missed yesterday and another jvs school board meeting that I just got back from. Been a busy day and I'm too tired to write well. Good night and will try to do better tomorrow.[|)]
David Drowns

Post by David Drowns »

Bob,
We really enjoyed having you out our way. Hats off for making the trip. We all had a good time hanging out with you at the 15 man preflight get together Friday night at the local pizza joint "Killer Pizza From Mars".

Tell the wife thanks from us for letting you make the trip so we could trade streamers for a few days. Getting the wife's blessing is a good thing.[;)]

Good to hear you made it back safe. That kind of trip has definitely got to be a "Long Haul"
THend

Post by THend »

Exciting times in SoCal right now...

Temecula hosted its first combat event earlier this year, and will host another in 2010. The Corona club is going to host the season opener in February! A first for them too!

There is considerable chatter regarding Scale combat too! We'll be flying Scale on the Saturday afternoon before the Sunday combat. Double Dip baby....

All of these guys have worked very hard to pull combat out of the ditch and get it going again. We have new CDs, and new clubs promoting combat.

Danny does a great job with the video, and we will be representing the RCCA at the Ontario AMA convention in Jan.
THend

Post by THend »

yeah Bob, glad to hear you made it safe and sound.

Thanks for coming out too, I know it had a positive impact on many of the pilots. They SEE the RCCA..

What a class act.. talking to you was like going home again after all these years... making wine, deer hunting, fishing, living on acres instead of a postage stamp...laid back and very cool... Bob is a cool dude that can fly combat too!

Heck, I'm interested in flying at Doug Goldmans event...
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Thank you very much Bob for making the trip, I was disapointed I didnt get to say bye to you, I know, you had to hit the road. I learned alot from you and appreciated all of the advice. We will have to make you an honoray "West Coast Combat Dude" We really enjoyed having you out. I hope our craziness wasnt too much for you!

see you next time!
boiler

Post by boiler »

I really had a blast out there. I was impressed with the number of cartoon war-birds in SSC. I would like to know the specs on the video camera used. Might pick up something like that so I can make a DVD for shows out this way. The last Paris TX video is starting to get a little dated. I've only missed one of Goldman's meets since I started going. I scheduled a wilderness camping trip in Ely MN before I saw the combat calendar. I always check the combat schedule before booking the reservations for entering now. If I had a couple more pilots with me the trip would have gone faster and been much less expensive. Maybe next year.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

The SSC warbirds is our little niche, it adds fun scale to the mix, with no scale rules. at that distance, it just looks like a scale plane and adds to the whole combat experiance, the spectators love it also, And the planes do keep up with the pack. I challenge everybody to try it, its alot of fun
boiler

Post by boiler »

Check out the January issue of Model Aviation. Our webmaster, Don Grissom, and Glen Kratz have a nice article featuring David "Mig Man" Drowns and the Palomar RC Flyers. Way to go guys.[:D]
THend

Post by THend »

Great news on the article! I look forward to reading it..
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

thats awesome, I havnt got mine yet, Bob, being here, now you can get the feel of the article.
David Drowns

Post by David Drowns »

Finally got my MA mag today! Thanks Glen and Don for getting the combat article written and in the mag. looking forward to a good 2010 in combat!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Nice article folks! The approach you are using is paying off in interest and participation! Keep up the great work!

Ed