Dogfight over Dovre

tell everyone the results of your combat related event!

Moderator: hbartel

WingNut

Dogfight over Dovre

Post by WingNut »

I'd like to send out a great big THANKS to those who were able to make the trip to northern Wisconsin for this years rendition of the Dogfight over Dovre. There was a total of 10 flyers from around the upper Midwest. The first to arrive was Mark Meyrose at around noon on Friday, and others joined us as the day progressed.

At round 4pm we started the GNat competition with 7 pilots. It should be noted that ma nature was smiling on us with absolutely beautiful weather, with temps in the mid 70's and a very nice light breeze. We flew a total of 5 rounds of GNats, with the results as follows:

Bill Geipel 2200
William Drumm III 1120
Andy Runte 1120
Mark Meyrose 1096
Doug Goldman 840
Michael LaPacz 804
Bob Loescher 464

After the GNat event, we adjourned to our grilled steak dinner as is the tradition here at WingNut Acres. It was observed that this was the 11th annual Friday dinner for those who were able to make it to the event grounds Friday.

The weather Saturday was every bit as good as Friday, and we were able to start a bit earlier than usual because of some clouds in the east. We flew 5 rounds of combat before the lunch break at noon. Then we flew 5 more rounds and had them completed before 3:30pm, with results as follows:

William Drumm III 5240
Andy Runte 5200
Doug Goldman 3220
Mark Meyrose 3000
Bill Geipel 2480
Michael LaPacz 2460
Bob Loescher 1904
Mike Burk 1860
Heath Bartel 1480
Leon Olzewski 1320

It was noted that there was a threat of rain for Sunday's Limited B event, so it was decided to fly 4 rounds of Limited B after SSC on Saturday. This proved to work out well as Sunday morning greeted us with a steady rain and turned the day into a total washout. The Limited B results were:

William Drumm III 1740
Andy Runte 1560
Michael LaPacz 1160
Mark Meyrose 580
Leon Olzewski 560
Doug Goldman 424
Heath Bartel 364

Even though the event was cut short by Sunday's rain, I know that I sure enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Heath Bartels, a new friend from the Appleton area, introduced us to his electric combat planes. It was also special to see Mark finish just out of the money in 4th place in all 3 events! At this point we also left one plane stuck in a tree that was just too high to climb, and way out of hatchet/rope distance. Hopefully ma nature will get it down before Dirko's event so I can grab it and bring it to its rightful owner.

I am now reminded how quite it gets here after the friends head for home. It was really a great time to be able to share the weekend with my RCCA family.

See ya soon on the combat trail!
Doug Goldman
RCCA 458
WingNut

Re: Dogfight over Dovre

Post by WingNut »

It seems that I've gained a smaller size fabric style lawn chair, blue in color. If you are the owner, please let me know and I'll do my best to get it back to you via the combat express.
Doug Goldman
RCCA 458
midair02

Post by midair02 »

Thanks Doug for hosting yet another great meet. Great flying, great food & most importantly, great people.
William "Dominator" Drumm III
RCCA Secretary/Treasurer #713
Dr. Kamakaze

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

Doug & Cathy thanks for hosting all of us for our traditional Labor Day contest and feeding everybody all weekend. If you do put together all of the group photos through the years, I'd be interested. "Bailey" enjoyed seeing his girlfriend, "Bisca".
See everybody in a couple weeks in Iowa!
Andy "Dr. Kamakaze" Runte
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876, North Central District Rep
AMA #273119
mlapacz

Post by mlapacz »

Thanks Doug & Cathy for hosting this years combat meet. Denise and I had a great time.
Mike LaPacz
RCCA#1046
Green Bay, WI
WingNut

Post by WingNut »

I'm putting a couple of Gnats together for Dirko's event. The plans call out 4 1/4" cg, but someone shared a new and improved cg. Unfortunately I don't remember the actual measurement of the new recommended cg. Could someone help me out with it?
Doug Goldman
RCCA 458
Dr. Kamakaze

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

Doug,
You'll want to put the CG at 3 3/4" from LE. We just mount the wing on the bottom of the fuselage now instead of sliding it through. I can post some pics if you want. Laurie was in an accident with the minivan yesterday...some lady turned right in front of her. :roll: Laurie is pretty sore today and the van is totaled so I may be a late scratch for Dirk's meet depending how everything shakes out over this next week. My van looks a lot like my planes do after a contest...
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876, North Central District Rep
AMA #273119
WingNut

Post by WingNut »

Thanks for the cg info Andy. I'm using the newer style folded wing as well, rather than feeding the fuse through the wing. 3 3/4" from the LE it is!

So sorry to hear about Laurie and the car accident. I trust that everyone will be ok, so the rest is just the inconvenience of bent metal.
Doug Goldman
RCCA 458
boiler

Post by boiler »

The new CG is in the AMA rule book thanks to Tony Stillman of the AMA doing some editing. Sorry to hear about your trouble Andy. Doug, bring my plane if it decided to land and I will give you your clipboard with my score sheet that forgot to take out of my flight box. I have changed two Gnat wings for a meet in Cinci Sunday and patched the SSC. I hope to have little damage so I will be able to get the Limited planes fixed for Iowa.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
WingNut

Post by WingNut »

Hey Bob,

Sorry that I didn't notice your score sheet missing. I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to scan it and send a copy to Randy for processing. If that's not an option, I'll gladly take care of it when we get together next.

I'm sorry to say that, as of 5 minutes ago, your plane was still in the air, right where we left it last weekend. I've got the thinking cap on about how to get it to the ground, but it's about 40 feet up and I've got nothing that long to prod it down. I'm hoping ma nature will provide the right wind to unlatch it so it will fall on its own. I'm sure we'll get it to you sooner or later.
Doug Goldman
RCCA 458
boiler

Post by boiler »

It took a week and half until my plane came down from a 60 ft oak tree after my grandson soloed. I left a P-47 in a tree in Virginia that was returned after 2 months. Gravity usually wins.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
WingNut

Post by WingNut »

Bob, with the aid of a 24' ladder and 20' of chimney cleaning rods, your plane has landed. I'm planning to bring it to William's event next week.

Mark, your red handled knife has been mailed your way in a small USPS box. Scheduled delivery is tomorrow so it should be home soon!
Doug Goldman
RCCA 458
boiler

Post by boiler »

Thanks Doug. After Green Bay I have an SSC and Gnat in Cinci then I have to decide between an SSC + Scale in Maryland or an SSC + Scale+Limited B+ Open B in TX the same weekend. A lot will depend on what I have left after Green Bay and Cinci.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher