3nd Generaton Float Spad

SPAD Combat designs and discussions
For more, visit http://www.spadworld.net

Moderator: hbartel

SpadCat

3nd Generaton Float Spad

Post by SpadCat »

Last year I built a Spad float plane based on the Debonair's dimensions. It had a fully symetrical tapered trailing edge wing with flaps using a single spar. It was powered by a K&B .65 swinging a 11x6 four bladed prop. It featured a tapered all coro fuse and HDPE firewall and weighed in at 7 1/2 lbs. It was a very good flying plane. Its only drawback was its rather high landing speeds. The flaps helped, but were one more thing to deal with. I helped 2 of my brothers build stock float Debs, and I really like their very slow landing speeds. Of course they are not as aerobatic as mine was. So I decided to build another one with more mods. I increased the wingspan to 70 inches and decreased the trailing edge taper to increase wing area which will decrease wing loading. I did not install flaps. I still used a full coro fuse, but it is built similar to a pvc fuse with no vertical rear end taper and is 5 inches longer. I could not get a tapered rear end to look as clean as I wanted. I also installed pvc downspout with lightening holes to stiffen weak areas in the original. Final dry weight came out to 7 1/4 lbs. I am using full size Hitec radio equipment. I also increased rudder area and decreased vertical stab area. I was trying for more rudder authority in water. I did not hook up a water rudder just so I could see how water handling would be without it.

Today it was quite breezy with an offshore wind. The other float pilots watched as I started my takeoff run which had a quartering tailwind (one said later he thought I was going to catch a tip and waterloop), but I just kept full up elevator and held ailerons to keep the left wing down. She took right off very smoothly after about half of the distance my old ship used to need for takeoff. She climbed out strongly with only a couple of clicks of trim. Testing her slow flight capabilities, the plane slowed down to a hover in the breeze with full control right down to a very soft stall. I brought her around to land, and she landed as light as a feather. I was really stoked! I have built and flown many types of floatplanes over the years, and this one is the best flying floatplane yet. If you have ever thought of flying floats, the Deb and this hybrid (I do not have a name for it yet) would be a perfect choice for either a beginner or expert float pilot.

Oh yes, the enlarged rudder did a fine job of directing this rather large ship in windy conditions on the water.

SpadCat
RH

Post by RH »

Nice report. Any pics? What are you using for floats? One of my next projects is to build some floats, I am still in the info gathering stages.

rh
SpadCat

Post by SpadCat »

I will get the camera and post some pic, but it will be next week. The floats I use are balsa covered foam about 32" long. I applied a thin layer of glass to the bottom. They were from a kit, but it has been so long I do not remember the brand. I plan on stripping them down and refinish them soon. I like my floats to be as small as possible and the the plane to sit as low to the water as practical for best aerobatic performance. Water clearance is the reason I went to a 4 bladed prop. The K&B .65 I am using has been custom built and it runs superbly. That engine likes to pull large props, so it is ideal for this application.

RH, I belong to a float club, and one of the members has float plans you could down load. If interested, I can get the info for you.

SpadCat
RH

Post by RH »

Spadcat, I would appreciate the float plans. Not in a huge hurry, this will be a project for this winter. Look forward to seeing your pics.

rh
RCAMERICA

Post by RCAMERICA »

http://spadworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=70 ... ght=floats

Did you get the float drawingsa on Chris' site RH?
Chuck

http://spadworld.net
Admin/Webmaster

"If your enemy is in range, so are you."
RH

Post by RH »

Thanks RC,

Do you remember what size plane these plans are for?

rh
RH

Post by RH »

I'll be scaling these up to a .100 size bird, think I need a CF backbone and/or some light ply sheeting?

rh
RH

Post by RH »

Very nice. Appreciate that, Chris.

rh

Return to “Simple Plastic Airplane Designs (SPAD)”