DS record just went over 300MPH today!!!!

Moderator: hbartel

NAES

DS record just went over 300MPH today!!!!

Post by NAES »

I cannot believe this but here's the vid. The pilot, Kyle Paulson, has always been at the top but this is unreal.

slopeaddiction.com
RH

Post by RH »

Incredible!!!! What do you know about this stuff? Where are they doing it? Got another link?

rh
PROPPY JON

Post by PROPPY JON »

nice link it doesn't work!
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Proppy if you cut and paste the url it'll work but don't bother. I tried downloading the video and the web site is so slow (probably some kid's machine at home) that I just gave up on it.
NAES

Post by NAES »

I'm pretty sure that it's just a home computer hooking up to some very small bandwidth.

This particular video was shot at either Parker Mountain or Vincent in Southern California. We are experiencing Santa Ana winds right now which are in the steady 40's most of the time.

Anyway, Dynamic Soaring aka DSing is a relatively new trend in rc sloping. You are basically looking for a hill that has a nice smooth crest so that one side is facing the prevailing wind while the other side has a pocket of dead air on the backside. You get up high and dive down into the backside where the air has less pressure and you carve a turn back into the wind. When you get to about the crest of the hill you encounter a sheer layer of air. You turn along the shear and a gust increases your speed with an amazing and unforgettable whooosh sound. Now you turn back to the backside and start doing laps. Every time you hit the sheer layer you increase your energy and speed and since your diving back to an area with less pressure the wind resistance is way lower so you can effectively keep increasing your kinetic energy with little loss of speed throughout the turn.

The aircraft of choice with an unlimited budget would be the 100" Extreme that Kyle is flying. Fully molded carbon fiber bird, really nice. But, for around $800 an airship it's way out of my league. I personally am flying a Destiny from SoaringUSA which is a fully molded ~60" fiberglass bird with a beefy carbon spar. This one has been proven in the 160 range and for $200 it's way less of a loss when you eventually pound it into the ground. They get ballasted up with lead plugs inside the fuse and are sometimes in the AUW of over 100oz!

Then there are the EPP birds. Aircraft such as the Gulp, M60 and JW are great for learning and will still get you in the 130's easily! They can be pounded into the ground and usually dusted off and thrown off the hill again.

I'll see if I can find anymore vids that are of better quality so you can get a peek. 300 is pretty tough to see on the screen and is basically a flash but when you start DSing warbirds it becomes unreal.

NAES
NAES

Post by NAES »

THend

Post by THend »

[:D]Basically, you are banking energy with each pass if you are doing it right. I have managed a few passes, but nothing close to the speed ranges discussed. It gets harder and harder as you progress. At first, it is like crazy, I am flying on the backside of a hill. Then guys show up that know what is going on, and you end up hiding behind your car because they are flying sooooo fast.

You'd think flying circles would be easy, but it is a serious challenge.
spaddawg

Post by spaddawg »

Thats it!! I am dumping RC COMBAT and getting back into sloping!! That was hot!!

I think we need to get every one out here in the southwest on it!!
WOO HOO!!!
NAES

Post by NAES »

I'm with you James. On the trip back from Vegas Terry, Butch and I were spying all kinds of slope spots and kicking ourselves for not throwing one in the trailer. Combat is soooo much fun but if speed is your game, I don't think you can go faster in the RC world unless you have 10K to drop on a Turbine.

I think I want to make these guys Honorary AREA-52 slope members.

Must see vids-
"Crap your Pants" and
"8 Foot Carbon Bluto"
http://jzepeda.rchomepage.com/
PROPPY JON

Post by PROPPY JON »

sean been doing some sloping here toook a trip to y\tucson but the wind sucked looking for a trip to flagstaff but going to go pull on mickeys ears with the kids this next week .. i've been kind of taking it easy on combat got a glider and have been just kicking it sean i saw you on the groups but no reply from you whats up with that 111111
RH

Post by RH »

proppy flying a glider?????.......does not compute.......

rh
PROPPY JON

Post by PROPPY JON »

yep but the sicky stuff on the wing kept picking up cactus and grass and the weight keeps killing me !!! but lots of fun
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

I thought i would like you know i set the official DS speed record

447 mph, the next pass was faster, but my wing folded at that point

The plane was a Minstrel 3m, with a 27 oz/in^2 wing loading

Though it may or may not have been achieved on a flight simulator, i maitain that it should count as a official record [:D]

That DSing is fun though, its pretty much all i do on my flight sim, i wish we had access to some good spots in the mid-west
boiler

Post by boiler »

Try Great Bear Dunes.[;)]
THend

Post by THend »

Just prior to Thanksgiving 2007, I was at Norco Ca when several guys flew over 300 mph. If you ever thought you felt CONCERN for yours or someone elses well being, DS will trump it in a heart beat. You start hiding behind boulders, cars, and ditches..

I think two weeks ago the record was popped again, 313 or so I believe.

NUTS

Brian, believe it or not, I feel the combat pilots would be the best at DS. WE don't flinch too often and maintain our cool when things get hairy and manage to save our planes.

I bet we hooked you up with a $10K DS monster ship and you could pull of a record.

Part of it is skills, the other part I know you have...

attitude..[:p]

Return to “Everything about slopers and slope combat”