Slope Combat in CO

Moderator: hbartel

ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jj</i>
<br />Well bad news for Wisconsin (I think they just got drunk on Old Style beer and put the W upside down) as that cajun Favre decided to hang it up and retire.

Even worse news though for the Bears. They re-signed Grossman.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<font size="2">Even in retirement, Brett's got his head in the game (just so I don't offend the RCCA censor, I'll only show the link here and not the picture - warning, language may be offensive to Bear fans): http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/ ... cement.jpg</font id="size2">

[:D]

I agree about the "M" -- either that, or it was a prank by U of Minn students that no one's noticed yet.
Bill Geipel

Post by Bill Geipel »

We have lots of places in Wisconsin to launch gliders. They're called snowbanks.
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

We've got a little activity here in East Tennessee, but not too much. With the mountains we have lots of hills, just few clearings for a good landing zones. We seem to do most of our slope soaring in the winter when we have more wind, but again, fewer people are willing to venture out in the cold. The handful of us that go fairly frequently combat pretty regularly if we bring the wings or something we're willing to sacrifice. Those wings are about indestructible. Still, it is fun to actually drive the other plane to the ground and make your victims walk.[}:)]
jj

Post by jj »

LZ. Heck we either land on the road, or just put them into the side of the mountain and rappel down to them.
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Not sure exactly where this is taking place, but it looks like a ton of fun. We usually have a small handful of fliers when we slope combat, but I think this crowd has most of our combat rounds beat. Hope you enjoy it. There's got to be about 30 planes in the air at once!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fCmUxFX6cc
jj

Post by jj »

I'm Very familiar with this. There were 26 planes in the air.
There would have been 27 if I hadn't been taking the movie at the time.
This is at Williams Peak near Heaney, Colorado. About 9 miles north of Silverthorne, 1.5 hours West of Denver. That is Green Mountain resovoir, and the Gore range in the background. Great combat here every summer. the big event is about the third weekend of June.
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jj</i>
<br />I'm Very familiar with this. There were 26 planes in the air.
There would have been 27 if I hadn't been taking the movie at the time.
This is at Williams Peak near Heaney, Colorado. About 9 miles north of Silverthorne, 1.5 hours West of Denver. That is Green Mountain resovoir, and the Gore range in the background. Great combat here every summer. the big event is about the third weekend of June.

Looks like a Ton 'O Fun! I just wish it wasn't so far away. Here in Tennessee, the winter seems to be our windy season, and we haven't been able to fly in weeks. Darn global warming. We have some good slopes, just not enough wind. Still, when it is blowing, it is nice to be one of the few that will be able to fly as compared to the fellas at the local field. When they say 15mph is too windy to fly, I just kind of laugh to myself.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Come on, it doesn't get COLD in TN.[}:)] Come up NORTH and find out what COLD is.[:(]
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boiler</i>
<br />Come on, it doesn't get COLD in TN.[}:)] Come up NORTH and find out what COLD is.[:(]

I wasn't complaining about the cold, just the lack of flying wind. It's funny though, here many won't even consider flying if it gets below 40 degrees.
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

If it gets up to 40 I'll fly!--------rick
THend

Post by THend »

It was 43 this morning when I got up. Turned on the heater for a bit to warm up the house, and needed a sweatshirt to get to work.

Oh, Santa Anas are about to blow again, hot sunny, windy, and DS with combat too....
jj

Post by jj »

I both fly combat RC gliders and Hang Glide (both are great at the Williams site where that was filmed). A couple of weeks ago we had people hang gliding and paragliding with a high of 23 degrees. There were a few RC combat gliders up that day as well.

If the winds are right, go fly!
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by slam</i>
<br />i've always wanted to try slope combat. too bad florida is FLAT.

slam
Slam -- check out this site for slope soaring sites in Florida. You don't need mountains, there are many sites now that are closed landfills! http://www.slopeflyer.com/soaring/florida/

-= Dave
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Thanks for the link Dave. I was able to find a good (Dam Good) dam site to try out just about 30 miles away. I like gliders and always wanted to try some slope. Next time the wind is fairly strong out of the South, I`ll go up there with one of my electric SSC Falcons. I can try it first with a prop so that I can fly back if I get in trouble, then take the prop off like a real man.
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />Thanks for the link Dave. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sure thing Lee. I'm going to Milw this weekend for their slopefest. Some combat and some full-contact pylon events. Should be a blast. I'm stoked!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009308

Return to “Everything about slopers and slope combat”