P40 for slope, P40 for RC Combat

Moderator: hbartel

THend

P40 for slope, P40 for RC Combat

Post by THend »

Well, been working on some fun stuff lately. We got things on the move here at AREA-52...

Here is what is coming off the production line at the moment....

Don't let the balsa frighten you, these are for slopers... I already have the Olive Drab coro ready to go. Now that these are done, it'll be Spit time again to get that nailed down, then back to the P40.

Enjoy..

Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Nice work Terry. Is that a CNC router table?
THend

Post by THend »

Whacked out 15 vert stabs in a tad over an hour this morning.

Yes Sir eeee it sure is. I've owned it for a while now, but never overcame the knowledge issues I had with the CAM. So it sat for almost two years with very little made on it. (The wife reminded me regularly that we spent a fortune on that thing, and I wasn't using it. Plus, she can't get her car in the garage.)

Back in May I blew out my right achilles tendon, completly severed it, while playing basketball with my son (who is no longer short, and thus requires me to jump [xx(]).... not being as fit as I should be, I tried to move too much mass too quickly, and hence the injury.

Ok well, this is the long answer to a short question, but hang in there.

So, there I was, laid up, couldn't walk, crutches only and that ain't fun. So, I figured I'd force myself to learn the software since I could not do anything else.... Maybe I told this story...

Anywho, I would get started, get frustrated, and shut down the laptop.. Sitting there, with nothing to do again... I fired up the laptop and had the Mrs. get me the literature...

I was laid up for over nine weeks, and I just kept plowing through the knowledge gaps, and eventually ended up in a rolling chair in the garage practicing on the cnc. I managed one good battle scar on the surface of the table when I drove the bit right on through the table top.

Mental note, always KNOW where zero on the Z axis is...

So, yes it is a CNC router, and I am getting better on it every week. If all goes to plan, I'll be working on the Spitfire fuse mold this week, and if we get lucky I'll have one or more for the Pearl Harbor Classic.

BTW, the wife comes out regularly now to watch the machine run. I think she wants custom work done...for Xmas gifts![:0]

If anyone is still reading this, I am amazed.....

Ok, back to the shop.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Read it all the way through Terry. I think we all work that same way. Different circumstances maybe, but the same way otherwise. Congratulations! When are you going to advertise custom work.[;)]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I can relate to the disability and being on crutches ... spent July in a cast and had foot surgery in September with cast and crutches for 6 weeks and a walker boot, had bone spurs removed from my heel. It was like stepping on a nail every morning getting out of bed, now much better.

I did manage to CD September and October contests:
with a lot of help from my friends!

Hope you have a full and speedy recovery!
Ed
THend

Post by THend »

Pretty much recovered.... not exactly moving around like Peyton Manning, but I did manage to QB a sandlot game up at the park today..

I assistant CD'd the Palomar event in July...with the BOOT too!

Odd, I never imagined being layed up due to something "failing", been layed up plenty due to "broken things" due to doing "crazy things"....

th
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Terry,

The p-40 looks awesome. Don't worry if the spit is not ready for pearl. David & I cut 32 migs. I think I could cough up one with your name on it if need be. The lazer cuts were awsome. By the way if you have a need for the new SSC Mig DXF file I could get that to you. Maybe some day we could work on converting the Mig into a coro p-40 with David's SSC wings.

After our mig build I plan to make any needed edits to the plans and then package the drawing for download on the internet. I just wanted to see how the build goes to see if there are any kinks in the plans that we missed.

Butch tells me the new magnum woke up his spitfire. I look forward to pearl. I will have 3 migs ready for all the action. My son plans to fly his first combat at pearl. I hope to see him get a cut or two. Man would that ever be a kick. He practiced with streamers the other day. It was just scarey. He was chasing streamers inverted and looked like he is gonna be ready to shake up some of us old guys.

Who says combat is not growing here in socal. If you get a chance this weekend make the run out to see David's build party. The 14 more new combat planes we build should get the peral classic rocking.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Your stack of tail feathers kinda reminded me of our preperations for this build party. Check out our stacks of mig parts!

THend

Post by THend »

This is certainly the way to get folks into combat. The handfull of us who can provide need to do so....

Get'm building!

I would be interested in the dxf for sure, and I would make mods so I can use a foam wing with armor built in. The coro fuses are pretty darn tough.

th
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

wow, the laser cut those parts out so nice. will he be able to cut anything if we send him a file? I build alot of the corostangs and having precut parts would be great!! a question on the mig, does the fuse end up a little rounded when its done? Im looking at another SSC bird but it has a round fuse. im not gona disclose the bird but even if its a little round it would work. I need to get out and start cutting
Andy Erwin (draftman1) #913
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

The fuse is rounded on top and flat on the bottom. I would make a great looking p-40.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

yes it would make a great P40. maybe I will try that also. we need to come up with a rounder fuse for a p-47
THend

Post by THend »

I must say, the Coro fuse is pretty tough, and with a little more creative thought, and possibly material "inter-mingling" could end up the best path for scale warbirds. I am not a fan of the coro wings, but again, I think that could be overcome with more creative thought and experimentation. One thing for sure, you can't beat the speed with which you throw a coro wing together.

Time, quality, money...... you only get two...at the expense of the other.
jj

Post by jj »

Hey, would like more info on the P40 slopers.

Been doing a lot of Hang Gliding lately and flyin a sloper prior to launch is a good way to check out the air prior to HG launch. Might be nice to fly somethin other than a zagi like wing for a change.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

So terry, or should i call you dad for this one [:D]

If someone were in the market for a fuse mold, might you be the one to talk to?

Dad? (this usually works with my real one) [8)]

Return to “Everything about slopers and slope combat”