Corvo Sloper

Moderator: hbartel

Blue Note

Corvo Sloper

Post by Blue Note »

Corvo Sloper...

After flying the electric powered Corvo for combat for a while, I decided it was time to take the next logical step...a slope glider. The planform of the electric version has proven to be tough and fun, so a few quick modifications were made to try out one specifically geared toward light slope lift and thermal rich conditions, which seems to be what we mostly get around here. I didn't want to spend a lot of time on the first one, but I did want it to be aerodynamically clean and light to help it fly in the light stuff, so I just fiberglassed the elevons and provided a Kevlar live hinge to keep the top of the airfoil perfect. I couple quickly shaped and vacuum formed covers for the ventral push rods will keep them protected during landings and also decrease the drag when in flight. I wanted the CG shiftable by way of moving the battery and decided to incorporate an finger notch to allow a good strong launch, as there is not a lot to hold on to otherwise. The vertical is also quickly removable for transport or repairs. She's all ready to go, just needs a little wind to float around in. In fact, even in light wind, it should zip around pretty well. Blow wind, blow...

Specs :

Wing Span = 42"
Wing Area = 336 sq.in.
Airfoil = MH45 ( 9.84% thick )
All Up Weight ( AUW ) = 9.55oz
Wing Loading = 4.09oz/sq.ft

Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
boiler

Re: Corvo Sloper

Post by boiler »

Very interesting Chris. Are you kiting the electric version?
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

boiler wrote:Very interesting Chris. Are you kiting the electric version?
I will address this question in the e1000 thread... http://rccombat.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14027
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Finally got a little air time and video for the Corvo Sloper. Conditions were light and from a bad direction, but it worked well enough for a little while. Now I just need about a dozen of them going at once...

[youtube]PUmIVWcq2Qw[/youtube]
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
davidturner

Post by davidturner »

Nice video. I have never tried slopers. Looks fun for sure.
David Turner
RCCA member #934
AMA Contest Director / Leader Member # 8822
Texoma RC Modeler's member
http://www.texomarc.org/
jj

Post by jj »

Looks very nice.

Might need an area for ballast as 4 oz. wing loading is a little light for slope combat.

We had 20-25 flying for the Super 77th slope combat meet June 28 & 29. Biggest turnout in a few years.

For anyone who hasn't tried slope combat, it is a special kind of challenge. You not only need to keep your plane flying using only the wind, but then you need to get a good angle and manage to hit another plane to knock it to the ground while keeping yours flying. Not as easy as it sounds, but a heck of a lot of fun. This year the winds started strong and went to absolutely howling. Had to match when winds started getting into the 40mph range.

Of course you need a site with consistent winds and a few other slope combat pilots to fly with.

Do you plan to make some kits?
jj (John J)
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/JJ-John-Jaugilas/P40RightThumb.thumb.jpg[/img]
Crosswinds R/C club
12th Pursuit Squadron
RCCA #579 AMA #9474
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

jj wrote:Looks very nice.

Might need an area for ballast as 4 oz. wing loading is a little light for slope combat.

Do you plan to make some kits?

Thanks.

Just a prototype for proof of concept. Versions since have provisions for ballast, but this one was intended for those very light days, which is what we get here the most. Some of my planes sit for months before I get the right wind to fly or even test them. I might consider a different airfoil for a heavier version as this one really prefers light loading. While more maneuverable, a plank such as this would not be my choice for slope combat due to the susceptibility of the nose region, unlike a flying wing...

No. I am out of the kit building "business" and do not foresee traveling that road again in the near future.
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954

Return to “Everything about slopers and slope combat”